Our Everlasting Melody (16)

Start from the beginning

"I'm pretty sure a vampire would be full before he could get that much blood out of you," he teased me now, and this made both of us laugh.

But talking about vampires reminded me of Blake, even though it shouldn't have. He was there, dressed as a vampire, talking to Mona. We couldn't be too close or else people would know that something was up between the two of us.

Christian could tell that something was wrong now. "Are you okay?" he asked me, worry evident on his face.

"I'm fine," I assured, even though I wasn't so sure if that was true. I forced a smile, but I knew Christian could tell that it was fake.

He reached out and brushed my bangs out of my face. "Leah..."

"Look, I don't want to talk about it," I almost snapped now, turning my face away from him so he couldn't touch it any longer. "I'm fine. Really."

"Christian!" an unfamiliar voice rang out now, and we looked up to see a girl that I didn't recognize. I knew Christian knew her though, because he smiled at her. "Will you dance with me, please?"

Christian smiled politely up at the girl, like he always did with everyone. But I knew he didn't see her as any more than a friend as he said, "Sure, of course."

He waved at me as the girl pulled him up off the couch, and when he turned his back away from us, she stuck her tongue out at me. I had no reaction, because it wasn't like I was jealous that she was taking him away from me.

I let out a sigh, leaning back into the couch and relaxing a little. I wondered where Leslie and Derrick were. I hadn't seen them, but that didn't mean that they weren't here. Even though I wouldn't have been surprised if they hadn't come since they were supposed to come together.

A few minutes later, out of the corner of my eye, I saw Cassie make her way up onto the little stage she made just for the party. I was pretty sure it was made out of a couple of mattresses or something. She made her way up there with a microphone, so I was sure that she was about to make some sort of announcement.

She stopped the music, which automatically made everyone stop dancing.

"Hello, everyone!" Cassie grinned into the mic, getting everyone's attention immediately. "I'm here to announce the winners for the costume contest! There are two this year!"

Huh, alright. That was different. There was always just one winner, but I guess two people had somehow tied this year. During sophomore year, the last Halloween party of Cassie's I had been to, I had somehow managed to win by dressing like a princess. It had been Cassie's suggested, and I soon realized once I arrived at the party that the only reason she wanted me to go as a princess was because Sean was going as a prince.

"The winners are Mona Barnes and Blake Solo!" Cassie announced now, and I couldn't help but let out a gasp. She... she couldn't have been serious! As everyone looked around for the winners, I couldn't take my eyes off the stage. Cassie... How could she? "Come on, you guys! Come up here and get your trophy!"

The trophy was filled with candy, which looked very unappetizing now. The two of them both made their way up on the stage, both looking embarrassed and shy, and I just wanted this to be all over with. The only reason they both won was because Cassie wanted them to be together.

"Now, go dance, you two!" she giggled once she set the trophy down. "The winners have to dance together!"

This was how she acted with Sean and me. She'd do whatever she could to try to get us to interact somehow. That was what she was doing now with Mona and Blake.

They did as they were told and danced together. Seeing them dance together like that broke my heart. I knew that it shouldn't, since they were only dancing and they could have been doing a lot worse, but I just didn't like it. It really upset me.