Chapter One - Dr. Quinzel

It was cold in Gotham that day, I remember because my stupid car wouldn't start and no taxi would stop. The walk to Arkham Asylum wasn't that bad though, but oh once I got there all hell broke loose and by hell I mean I had a new patient that was even crazier than me...

"Morning Doctor Quinzel"

I look up from the patient file in my hands to see my boss standing in the doorway

"Good morning sir, anything I can help you with?" I ask as politely as I can

The only time this scumbag talks to me is when he wants something, and it's never work related.

"Actually I just came in to congratulate you on your new patient"

"Oh a new patient?"

Mr. Jenkins smiles "yup, and the reason I say congratulations is because the patient was brought in by the Batman"

Fear begins to rise in me, something that doesn't usually happen when I get new patients

"But sir is this patient dangerous? I-I just started here and-"

"Harleen I'm giving you an opportunity here, a big opportunity. I'm trusting you to treat this patient and do a good job because if you don't... If you fail and give this establishment a bad name..."

He walks over to me, his fat gut resting on top of my desk as he leans over to whisper in my ear

"I'll do more than just fire you"

"I understand Mr. Jenkins, I won't let you down" I try to reassure him.

I have no doubt in my mind that he would do something to me, I'll probably end up in a body bag if I fail.

"Excellent" he pulls away from me and claps his stubby hands together "then if there aren't anymore problems..." He reaches into his blazer and pulls out a file "here's your new patient Doctor Quinzel, good luck... Oh and remember I'll be keeping a close eye on you, both of you"

Once the door to my office closes I let out a breath and decide to open up the file

A card falls out... A joker card.

The rest of the file has been blacked out, no name or even a picture of the patient. Of coarse Mr. Jenkins gives me worst criminal out there. Of coarse I work here for a week and get the Joker as my first real patient.

I throw the file across the room and rub my head. Today is not a going to be a good day.

The next couple of hours I spent trying to prepare for my therapy session with the Joker. Like therapy would ever work on someone as crazy as him. But I had to give it my all. And that's exactly what I did.

My hands shook as I twisted the doorknob to the cell, my nerves getting the best of me. Being a psychiatrist isn't all it's cracked up to be, especially in Gotham. I step inside of the dimly lit room and shut the door, securely, behind me.

Once I turn around I see a man, green hair, and a scarred mouth, his eyes blue eyes glued to me "hello" I smile at the man "my name is-"

"Doctor Harleen Frances Quinzel! Oh I was so excited to meet you" he says, laughing afterwards.

I take my seat, opposite him, and ask "was someone in here before me?"

"Just you pumpkin"

"Then how do you know my name?"

He leans forwards and rests his hands on the steal table "I know a lot of things, I know that it's your first week here, I know that your mother passed away last week, I know that you just got a dog-"

"How do you know these things?!" I slam my hands on the table "I've never told anyone about them"

My sudden outburst makes him laugh "oh pumpkin you obviously don't know anything about me"

"Don't call me that sir, I'm your psychiatrist not your friend"

He nods "and what about Harley? Harleen is so boring!"

I take a deep breath... This is going to be harder than I thought

"Doctor Quinzel is fine, or don't call me anything at all if my name isn't good enough for you"

"Caring what I think about you now, are you?" He snickers "all right doc, lets get this show on the road... Tell me about myself, since I already know everything about you. Why did I commit all those horrible crimes?" He mocks saddens with his last question

"It's about control-"

"Control?"

"Yes."

He laughs, his body hitting the back of the chair, his face turning a shade of pink "Then you haven't been following my career pumpkin"

The truth is, I was, I was fascinated by the Joker's career, the crimes he committed. All the skill he possessed to hide from the police for so long. When the Joker was on TV I was glued to the screen.

"I think you want to control the world Mr. Joker, I think you want to be king"

He pauses for a moment. Did I actually trip up the Joker? His eyes scan over my face, my torso, and come to a stop at my hands that are placed on the table top.

"King?" He laughs "oh doc, I'll be king I can assure you of that. King of Gotham!" He stands abruptly, knocking his chair to the floor in a loud crash "but only, only if you'll be my queen"