4.

sunmi is a queen. end of discussion. 

CHAPTER - FOUR

Party

I wish I'd worn earmuffs.

Or cotton balls in my ear beforehand. Because it was very, very loud in here. Loud to the point where all the noises clashed and combined and I couldn't make out which was which. People were dancing around, drinking out of cups, kissing...all of that.

I realize quickly into the party that I'm an outcast.

So, I take my seat on a couch, a bit further away from the crowd. I spend my time admiring Nina's big house. It's beautiful. It has false ceilings that project almost all colors, big fancy couches everywhere which should look messy but actually looks quite classy, a mini bar, cabinets stocked with expensive drinks, a dozen bedrooms...it's like a dream house. I learn from a girl talking to someone that Nina's parents have gone to their lake-house for the weekend.

I could never even imagine nor dare enough to throw a party while my parents were away. Or maybe her parents know and they're letting her throw the party. Either way, her life is dope. And she's gorgeous too. Nina's tall and beautiful. She's also smart and a kind of a nice person - compared to the other popular kids. She actually greeted me when I came in, tried to make me comfortable before her boyfriend, Kane dragged her away. Her boyfriend too is pretty charming. They're one of the couples that are light on the PDA and make you not want to cringe and die.

It's almost three hours into the party and I'm ready to curl up in bed. This was soo, not my scene. From my clothes to my attitude, I was an outcast and I'd rather not feel like that. I play with my phone, desperately waiting for Evelyn's call. Desperately.

"Hey," Comes a voice from my left. I think I recognize it. I don't want to however turn and then have the person look at me weirdly so I don't respond and instead, turn my head away, looking at the crowd dancing instead. "Hey," The guy - I'm hoping it's a guy from his voice, says again. Slowly, nonchalantly, I turn my head to his side. Calvin Parker sits there, cup in hand, sipping from it.

It surprises me. He didn't seem like a party person either and yet here he was. And he's drinking.

I want to ask him if he wants me to move. That would seem like the only reason he'd talk to me. He hops off the stool he's sitting on, close to the bar, and instead, slides in next to me on the couch.

He's too close and I'm too imperfect.

I don't want him to look at me. I can almost imagine looking at him peering at the little dark scars left by pimples on my forehead, the darkening near the corners of my mouth from running my tongue over it too often, the bags under my eyes and if I speak to him, he'll see that my two front teeth are a bit crooked. So I turn my face away, trying to avoid him.

Christen steps in at the moment. I'm thankful to her for once.

"Hey Cal, what're you doing here?" She gives me a dirty look before plastering on a smile for Calvin. "Come join the rest of us at the pool," She says, running a manicured finger down his shoulder. I look down at my hands. My nails are okay, they're not as bad as mom and Evelyn make them out to be. There's one finger I hate though. The middle finger in my left hand. Whenever I get nervous or bored, I have a habit of biting and pulling at that nail. It's now small and dirty and no amount of nail polish can fix it. I envy Christen's nails.