Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Meg

Though I looked into the windows at Ha Mae's house about a million times yesterday during the potato ball game, I never saw the girl in the blue dress. When I milked the cow, Ha Mae didn't let me look in enough to see her. I'm just dying to find out who she is, but it seems like I will never find out.

Today, which is a Saturday, a soldier came in on a horse demanding attention. Everyone dropped what they were doing and eagerly ran to the city square.

"Attention, Attention!" He cried. "Queen Malia and King Jaomalo of Erelaria have been captured and are imprisoned in their own cells!" A cheer rises into the air.

Finally, I think. The King and Queen will no longer interfere with the transformation of Airavia the New Capital. "But..." The soldier continues, "The Princess Loraina Malia Erelaria has escaped!" There is a big gasp from the town as a murmur spreads against the square.

"We!" He shouts with a whole bucket load of enthusiasm, "Will burn as many towns and villages of Erelaria until the King and Queen spill the location of their daughter!"

Everyone cheers even louder than the first time. We could defeat Erelaria! That Loraina didn't know that she was harming Erelaria in her attempts to escape.

"Come, People of the village of Elberta. Come and help us conquer Erelaria!"

Baba left that night. He dressed in sturdy work clothes and packed a sack with a little food and a bladder for water. He tucked in a blanket and kissed Omam, Tito, and I goodbye. I cried lots. I couldn't bear to see him gone.

"Goodbye, Meg," he said so clearly with plenty of sadness mixed in.

"Baba!" I cried and threw my arms around his neck. He hugged me so much and then turned away. Hair was stuck to my cheeks by tears, and my eyes were red and irritated. Omam pulled my away.

"I'll be back. No Erelarian will ever keep me from seeing my family." And with that, he turns and steps out the door to a new career of burning villages.

"Baba!" I cry and push away from Omam's tight grip. After a second of struggle, I heap to the ground a mess. Omam drags me to the fire, where she sits, stroking my forehead and crying.

I miss him, but after a bowl of hot stew with the last of our dried meat store and being tucked in bed, I feel a bit better. I tiptoe over to the window. Across the street, the light has flickered out on the second floor of Ha Mae's house. I stand for a second, but then head back to bed.

On=/m