Chapter Four - Time Limit

Adren's P.O.V

I hear Mikey's voice say my name on the other end. I smile to myself. I feel like screaming, jumping around, all that good stuff. Mikey can break through all these emotions that are blocked. Nothing and no one else can.

"It's me Mikes. It's me Adren." I say sitting on my bed, still smiling.

"I thought we couldn't talk..." He says.

"They got me a phone. But we can't talk long. They check up on me every 2 hours."

"I don't care. As long as I get to hear your voice, even for 5 seconds, I'm happy."

I squeak a little. I hear him laugh quietly. "I love you Mikey."

"I love you too Adren."

I hear a chorus of Aw's on the other line. Mikey tells them to 'Shut the fuck up' and I laugh. I saved my sister from possibly killing herself, and I made Mikey's day a lot better.

"How long do we have Adren?"

I check the clock on the white, blank wall. One hour. "One hour. I have to get off 20 minutes before they come in, though."

"40 minutes? Well, I'll live with it."

I chuckle a little. "You know... there's a guy here who looks like you."

"...Oh. There is?"

"Yeah. If it wasn't for this emotion change, I would've cried. But I knew it wasn't you. You would've kissed me or something."

"That, and take you away from there. How long will you be?"

"Well I have a week of training to do. Then I have a 2 weeks break. Then I start going on missions."

"Have you started the training yet?"

"Just did today. It's shit."

He laughs on the other line. "Even when you're drugged with BLI crap, you have a sense of humor like no other. And your voice has changed..."

"It has?" I notice it has. More edgy, and nervous.

"Yeah. Like nervous and tough at the same time."

"Ask Dr. D about that. I can't ask here."

"Will do."

We talk for the remainder of time. 8:30 rolls around, sadly.

"Hey Mikey. I have to go now. I love you." I croak, stiffling tears.

"I love you too. Bye Adren." His voice is shakey.

"Bye baby."

"Bye!" I hear everyone else yell it in the background. I laugh and hang up the phone. I go to the recent calls and delete the number I just called. Now there's no record I called them.

I hear the door open 20 minutes later. I'm lying on my bed, staring at the ceiling. I look up and see a Drac looking through the door at me. He nods and leaves my room. This goes on every 2 hours. A random Drac comes to check up on me. Luckily they don't stand outside.

I walk to a door which marks my closet. A whole bunch of clothes are in there for me. I pull out black skinny jeans and a red tank top and put them on. I walk out barefoot and down the hall. I arrive in the busy lobby of HQ. I stand at the receptionist's desk and wait until she notices me.

"How can I help you Agent Perez?" She says with a smile.

"Oh, call me Ad-I mean Janae. And I want to know if I'm aloud to paint my room." I rock back and forth.

"Usually you aren't. But because you're a special Agent, you're aloud. Just go to the supply hall and there's a machine. Choose your colors and the paint will pop out. You can find brushes and rollers in a closet."

"Thank you!"

I walk away and to the supply hall. It's a huge hallway with rooms and closets filled with supplies. I see the machine that looks like a vending machine, but for paint. I walk to it and pick out 2 colors. Red and Black. The reason we're not aloud is because, Well, you know. BLI is so plain. Just black and white.

But not me. I might be a agent, but I need color. It's like life to me. I hate being bleak.

I wait for the paint cans to come out, and pick them up when they do. I walk into a closet and grab 2 paint rollers and 2 paint brushes. As I walk to my room, everyone stares at me. I just smirk and continue to my room.

I arrive there and put a huge tarp on the floor that I found outside. I move furniture so I won't get paint on it. Then, I begin painting.