Let's Get One Thing Straight: I'm Not {20}

Nason and Noah entered my room and Nason hurried over to me. I opened my arms up and we hugged tightly. I kissed him deeply. When I looked up, my dad was looking away guiltily.

                “Are you guys okay?” I asked in concern. They both nodded. “Yea. Just bruised my knee kinda bad. How’s your arm?” Noah asked. “It’s okay,” I lied. It was throbbing.

                “Nason, how’s your leg?” I asked. “It’s alright,” he said with a small smile. “Owen has to stay overnight. His dad is coming home to take care of him. How sick is it that his step dad didn’t even come to visit him?” Noah said in disgust.

                “But his mom came?” They nodded. “What about Pierce?” Noah sighed sadly. “He’s still unconscious. His dad is here and man is he freaked out.”

                “Are you hungry Max?” mom asked. I nodded. “Yea, a little,” I said. “We’ll go get you food,” she said and she and dad left. Mrs. Hottie turned to Noah. “Come on Noah. Dad just texted me. Sasha’s here and she wants to see you,” she said.

                “I’ll be back Maxi,” he promised. He walked towards the door. His mom walked next to him and put her arm around him lovingly.

                Nason sat on the bed and smiled sadly at me. “I didn’t know if my mom would let me leave her sights. She’s really freaked out. She’s incredibly overprotective of me.”

                “Why’s she so overprotective?” I asked curiously. I had noticed that about her. Nason sighed and ran a hand through his hair nervously, that sad look back in his eyes. “Max…I wasn’t always an only child.”

                “Oh Nason,” I whispered. “My older sister broke her neck after falling down a set of stairs when she was 12,” he said quietly, his eyes watering. “I was only 7. She and I were close.” He smiled sadly. “9 years later and I still miss her like hell. That’s when my mom became so overprotective of me.”

                “Nason…I’m so sorry,” I said quietly, unsure of what else to say. Nason shook his head. “It’s not like it was your fault Max. We didn’t even know each other back then. It just…it showed me how short life can be. I promised myself I wouldn’t waste a second of it. Wouldn’t waste time being mean to people or jealous of them.”

                I sat up and hugged him tightly. Mom and dad came back a few minutes later with food. I ate hungrily before sitting back. “When do I get to go home?” I asked. “You’ll be home by tonight Maxwell,” mom promised, back to stroking my hair.

                She always did that when she got scared for me or whenever I got hurt. It comforted her and, well, me. I got really sick when I was about 6 and she would sit there and stroke my hair all day long.

                And she was right. Several hours later, I was walking into my house. Skeeter began yelping and eagerly crawling up my leg. I knelt down and pet him with my good arm. “Hey buddy,” I said with a small smile.

                I got up and went to the kitchen to get myself some water. I poured a glass and my parents came in after me.

                “Um…so do you guys want to watch a movie?” dad offered. I had to contain my happiness. I guess Nason was right. I smiled at my dad. “Yea. What movie?” He relaxed a little.

                We went to the living room and watched Cujo before I said goodnight to my parents. “Goodnight Maxwell,” mom said and kissed my cheek. “Goodnight Max. I love you,” dad whispered and hugged me tightly.

                I hugged him back and smiled softly before heading up to my room. I realized that with his injured knee, Noah probably wouldn’t be crawling through my window anytime soon. It almost made me sad.

                My cell rang and I answered it. “Hello?” I asked. “WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?!” Lacey’s terrified voice cried from the other end. I spent a half hour explaining everything and trying to calm her down. I didn’t want to lie to her, but I didn’t want to freak her out either. So instead I just told her that Pierce had cut his ear open and had gotten a concussion.

                “Thank god you’re okay,” Lacey whispered. I smiled. “Yea Lacey. Hey, get on Skype.” She laughed. “Okay Maxi!” She hung up the phone and 2 minutes later, we were on Skype.

                “Did you get your cartilage pierced?” I asked eagerly. She nodded happily but then frowned. “I got it done 2 days ago but I slept on it last night. Shit hurts!” (A.N.- Yes. Yes it does hurt like fuck .-.)

                “Are you gonna ever get any piercings Maxi? You’re slacking!” I laughed and shook my head. “No, I don’t want any.” “Not even a lip ring?” I shook my head again. “Nah, that’s more Noah and Pierce. Besides, my parents would kill me. Noah spent a year convincing his parents for it.” Lacey laughed. “Yea, I remember that.”

                She stretched and yawned. “Well, I’m going to bed and hopefully not sleeping on my piercing again. Goodnight Maxi, I’ll call you tomorrow!” I smiled and waved to her before ending the call and turning off my laptop. I laid down and allowed myself to fall asleep, deciding I would visit Owen tomorrow.