Let's Get One Thing Straight: I'm Not {8}

Pierce and I left the bathroom. Noah was leaning against the wall. He stood up straight and hurried over to me.

                “Max! Are you okay? Did that sick fuck hurt you?” he asked in concern. “Noah, go away,” Pierce said in a warning voice. “I’m not going away after what I just saw!” Noah cried angrily.

                I looked away from Noah. “Max, please! Are you hurt?” he asked. “Yea Noah, he is. But it’s not because of Brent. Now go away!” Pierce snapped. He grabbed my hand and began to pull me away from Noah.

                Noah hurried to keep up with us. “What are you talking about? Max, talk to me!” he begged. I wanted to. I wanted to talk to him so bad. But Noah was Noah. He didn’t understand how much what he had done hurt me.

                The warning bell rang and Pierce, Noah, and I walked to class together in awkward silence. The day rushed by without me talking to Noah anymore. I rode the bus home with Lacey and we went into her house.

                “Hey dad!” Lacey called. Most of the stuff in her house was already put into boxes for the move. She was leaving in less than two weeks.

                “Hey Lacey!” her dad called back. “Max is here. We’re going up to my room,” she said. “Hi Max! And okay,” he said. “Hi Mr. Anderson,” I called back before following Lacey up the stairs to her bedroom.

                We sat on her bed and I explained my problem to her. I sighed when I was done. “Lacey…do you think this is how Andre felt when Pierce cheated on him?” I asked quietly.

                She shook her head. “Max, that was different. Pierce slept around when he was dating Andre. What Noah did was really, really wrong. But it wasn’t as bad as sleeping around when you’re already dating someone.”

                “Yea, I guess you’re right,” I said. “But what Noah did was so wrong. I’ve tried to tell him how terrible it is but he’s like a little kid. He doesn’t understand that cheating is wrong. He just doesn’t get that it hurt you,” Lacey said in disgust.

                I nodded in agreement. “But that’s the problem Lacey. He doesn’t understand how much it hurt me so he thinks that being friends again is easy. And he’s back to being my best friend. But it’s just hard to look at him and know he cheated on me,” I whispered.

                Lacey wrapped her arms around me. “Maxi, you have a penis, right?” I rolled my eyes. “Yes Lacey. I’m gay, not transgender,” I said sarcastically. She playfully hit me. “Well, if you have a penis, you should know that boys are horny bastards who can’t always control themselves. I’m not defending Noah, but you have to think about this. Pierce cheated on Andre. He could cheat on you too Maxi. I just don’t want you to get hurt again,” she said seriously.

                “I know. But…” But what? Pierce had admitted to me that he had slept around while dating Andre. “Just don’t get hurt Max. Or else I’m going to be kicking some ass,” she said and kissed my cheek.

                I pulled Lacey into my lap and she laid her head on my shoulder. We sat in a comfortable silence like that for a while. If I were straight, I would probably have a crush on Lacey. I knew she used to have one on me before my secret got out.

                But I was fine with us just being close friends. Lacey had been my best friend almost as long as Noah. Noah and I had gone to the same babysitter when we were 2 and 3 and then we ended up going to school together. I met Lacey when I was 4.

                Her bedroom door opened and her dad rolled his eyes at us. “Careful with him Lacey. It’s always the ones that claim to be gay that’ll get ya,” he said with a wink.

                Lacey giggled and kissed my cheek again. “And I think I’d be alright with that. Maxi’s not that bad looking,” she said. I stuck my tongue out at her. “I’m freaking adorable!” I said.

                Mr. Anderson laughed. “Are you staying for dinner Max?” he asked with a friendly smile. “If that’s alright,” I said. He nodded. “Of course it is!” He left the room and Lacey rested her head on my shoulder again.

                “Max, anyone is lucky to date you. I don’t know why those idiots keep screwing it up!” I shook my head and sighed. “No. I’m a bad person Lacey. I let my dad down, I hurt people because I can’t make up my mind, and I can’t even stand up for myself.”

                “Max, you don’t cheat like Pierce and Noah. They hurt you. Stop thinking you hurt them,” Lacey said sternly. “Pierce broke up with me to protect me from Andre!” I cried.

                She sighed. “Max, Pierce went to the Virgin Islands. Now they’re just the Islands. He would’ve cheated on you. I’m sorry, but even you know it’s true.”

                I stayed silent. I knew it was true, but I didn’t want to talk bad about Pierce. He had been so nice to me in the past.

                Lacey smiled at me. “You’ll find someone Maxi. You’re a great guy.” I smiled softly at her before I frowned deeply. She frowned too. “What’s wrong?” she asked in concern.

                “Lacey…I’m going to miss you so much. You’ve always been there for me,” I whispered, holding her close to me.

                “Aw Max. We’ll keep in touch, I promise! I’ll come visit you in the summer. Anytime you need me, you just call me,” she said and smiled gently at me.

                She grabbed her iPod and plugged it into her speakers. Changed By You by Between The Trees began to play and we smiled at each other. Between The Trees was our band. We always listened to them together.

                As the beautiful song played, tears slowly crept into Lacey’s eyes. “God I’m going to miss you Maxwell Ricardo Quincy,” she whispered. “Lacey Gianna Anderson, you’re my best female friend and I’m going to be a mess without you,” I whispered back.

                We hugged tightly and Lacey began to gently cry into my chest. I felt myself choking up as I held her to me. My life was going to fall apart when Lacey was gone. She always comforted me through the hard times that Noah couldn’t.

                I loved Lacey in a way I could never love Noah or Pierce. She gave me strength. And I suddenly realized that I needed to try to fix everything before she was gone. I had less than 2 weeks to fix my relationships with Noah and Pierce.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A.N.- Hey everyone :) So I'm going to make a slideshow of banners I've gotten for this series. I only have a few banners from Closets Are For Clothes and none for this story so...if you guys want, you can make one and upload it to any site and I'll put it in the video (which I'll put on my youtube) and give you credit :)