Movie Review: Stephen King's It

Title: Stephen King's IT

Director: Tommy Lee Wallace

Starring: Harry Anderson, Denis Christopher, Richard Masur, Annette O'Toole, Tim Reid, John Ritter, Richard Thomas and (drum roll please) Tim Curry

Synopsis: A malevolent force in a small New England town takes the shape of a clown, but he's not clowning around. Instead, he terrifies  youngsters and brings some to their untimely doom- until some kids fight back. The evil resurfaces 30 years later: meaner, angrier, deadlier. And friends who vividly remember youthful terrors reunite to battle It.

Okay, so, it's the summer and 33 degrees celcius outside (that's roughly 92 degrees fahrenheit) which, is too hot for pale and lazy people like me, so I'm watching and will continue to watch a lot of movies. Anyways, I'll get on with it.

I am a HUGE fan of Stephen King, the man's a genius, an amazing author that essentially writes my nightmares. It's true that most movies based off of his novels suck and feature mostly unknown actors. Of course, there are a few gems. My personal favourites are the Dead Zone, Salems' Lot and The Shining (not Shelley Duvall or that annoying kid who reminds me of my cousin). So, I like Stephen King's Facebook page and 'IT' is supposed to be the BEST movie adaptation.

This was one of the movies that my dad had lying around the house that ignited curiosity and fear. The cover itself became the reason I was afraid of clowns as a child. Today, I finally grew a pair and watched it.

Tim Curry's performance as Pennywise is one of the most chilling I have ever seen and my favourite in the entire movie. I still really hate clowns. All in all, I wasn't impressed. This was the movie with the clown that had terrified me for years. This was supposed to be AMAZING.

Don't get angry, I haven't read the book yet (but it's on my list) but I can guarantee that the movie won't have done the book justice. I feel so stupid for letting this sit over my head and taunt me, much like Pennywise taunted the characters for so many years.

Honestly, if I hadn't known prior it was a Stephen King, I would've figured it was based off an R.L. Stein novel. (R.L. Stein was my Stephen King at 8) Throughout the movie I found myself thinking of ways I could make it scarier, not the story, but the way it was displayed. I was with the director through all of the Pennywise stuff (even if everyone else's acting sucked), but then they go back to the sewer and I'm gone. I won't spoil the ending if you still want to watch it, but if I ever get any influence in Hollywood, I'm remaking this movie. And it will be so terrifying, I probably will never stop crying myself to sleep- the way a Stephen King movie should be.

Verdict: Mediocre, aside from Curry's stellar performance. It disappointed and destroyed my fearful childhood perception. And not in the good way.