Chapter 36- You Live And You Learn

Start from the beginning

“That was very considerate of you. I’m sure they’re grateful for that.” I say. “With everything going on with Kristen and the kids things have been a bit hectic with them.”

“I should say so.” He replies.  “I mean we’re his friends and we can hardly believe it. I mean who would have thought Blake would end up having kids?”

I had to giggle at that. It was rather hard to believe. “Not me, that’s for sure.”

Even though I had my differences with Hunter, I had to admit he was an alright guy. I guess we all make mistakes sometimes. It would be wrong of me to hold this one incident over him forever. Maybe it was time to for me to move on from it. Not just for me, but for Grace too. If she truly like him then I would try to as well.

“I know. Remember that time we all went to that amusement park and that kid threw up on his new shoes. He flipped and made the girl cry.” He chuckles humorously. “I thought for sure he wouldn’t want to have any after that.”

“That kid was my cousin, if you don’t remember, and that’s not the only thing she’s done to him.” I reply. “He’s never had very much luck with kids.”

“Very true.” He agrees in laughter for a moment before becoming serious. “I am glad he’s ok though.”

“I know. Me too.” I nod. “He really can be a great guy.”

He ran a hand through his tasseled black hair and glanced nervously around the cafeteria before looking back at me with a form of regret in his eyes. It seemed as if he honestly felt bad about something.

“You okay?” I question.

He holds his breath a minute before finally letting it out and then sighs. “Not really. I just gotta say something.”

“Okay.”

“I know this is probably isn’t the time, but I owe you an apology. I know you didn’t want to hear it before, but I’d like to try again. I’m really sorry about the whole janitor’s closet thing. I really didn’t know what Blake had planned. He said he just wanted to talk to you and I-”

“It’s alright.” I interrupt. “That was weeks ago and it’s not important anymore. I’ve moved on from it and so should you.”

Wait, really?” He asks clearly being taken by surprise.

“Yes.” I assure him. “It’s forgotten and now I think we should just start over.”

“That’s the best idea I’ve heard all day.” He smiles, holding out his hand. “Friends?”

“Friends.” I repeat before shaking his hand.

To my surprise, it felt like a weight has lifted from my chest with the fresh start. What I told him was the truth. I really did want to move on from it and it felt good to do so. It’s amazing at how much grudges can hold you down. This feels much better this way.

I do believe Hunter is a good guy he just had a momentary lapse in judgment, but haven’t we all at some point? We’re only human. In all the time I’d known him he had never done anything to hurt anyone so I knew he was someone I could still be friends with. That’s the whole point to you live and you learn, isn’t it, because you do.

“Hey, you’re back!” Grace shouts once she sees me when passing by and paces over to me. She still had a look of worry on her face so I guess she hadn’t heard the news yet either.

She quickly passes a glance to Hunter then back to me before I have time to pick up on it. “How is he?”

“Banged up, but he’ll make it.” I say thankfully.