Eight

A few hours had passed, and a quiet shuffle came down the hallway. Ame was looking for Makoto, but he only found Sousuke standing on the balcony leaning over the railing. A foul smell seeped through the small gap of the glass sliding door from the balcony.

Sousuke's back was to Ame, but as Ame moved closer towards the door, he could see something small between Sousuke's fingers. Ame started to cough from the smoke escaping Sousuke's mouth, and Sousuke turned his head and saw little Ame staring up at him.

Makoto had fallen asleep in his room and Sousuke was left to look after Ame. The toddler watched as Sousuke dropped the bud onto the ground and scraped his foot over it. He came inside and Ame asked, "What was that in your mouth?" Sousuke ruffled Ame's hair and chuckled, not answering him.

"Are you hungry, Ame?" He asked.

"No, I'm thirsty." Ame answered.

Sousuke gazed at him in the corner of his eye, "What would you like?"

"Water."

Sousuke whispered under his breath, "Okay..."

He looked for any plastic cups in the top cupboards and found a small red one. He first looked for water that may have been cooled in the fridge and found a bottle half full.

Ame was lost in his own world, swaying his arms side to side. He was picked up in Sousuke's hands and he sat at the dining table with Ame on his lap. Ame quickly swallowed all the water in his cup.

"Geez, you're a big boy aren't you."

Ame wiped his upper lip and looked up at the big man and giggled, "You're a big boy too." Sousuke chuckled a little at his son's humour.