Chapter 4: Eli

I'm walking with Maria over to her younger sisters and my heart is beating like a drum. I honestly have no clue why I feel so nervous yet happy. This whole past week everyday walking home from school I would glance toward Maria and wish I could talk to her. Her long dark hair always blowing in the breeze and her blueish greenish eyes that are so beautiful and undescribed shine so bright. Who she is and where her heart is set I find it so intriguing. Could I like her? Nah that's crazy I don't even know her.

"Hey Lea and April!"

"Eliiiiii!!!" We missed you!"

"Haha yea your sister said you girls couldn't stop talking about me!" I laugh back

"Uh I think she was talking about herself" April winks at Maria.

"April what do you mean you silly duck" I hear Maria say filled with embarrassment

"You haven't stopped talking about him" Lea and April shout in unison.

"You two are so funny" Maria nervously respond. I laugh trying to lighten the mood.

"Well girls I need to get going home but I will come visit soon okay" I say after minutes of silence.

"Okayyyy!!!"the little girls shout.

"Uh Maria would they be okay if you walked me home, it's just at the end of the block?"

"Girls?" Maria says

"Doooo ittttt!!"

"I think they will survive"

"Good"

Maria and I begin walking with no words. I sit there a million questions flooding through my mind but nothing coming out. I glance at her every once and a while and each time its harder to look away. Her beauty is seriously astonishing, her olive tan goes perfectly with her bright smile. From what she has been through I'm surprised her smile can still hold so much joy. Her eyes even speak the happiness in her heart as I watch her look around. We are getting closer and closer to my small yet comforting home. We pass several trees and bushes, hearing birds singing and breaking our silence. I have this overwhelming sense to stay with Maria, not just now but for forever.

Finally I work up the courage and say,"So have you been thinking about me at all this week?"

"Pshh no I mean I barely know you like ugh no!" She says

"Well I can't stop thinking about you"

"Oh"

"I'm sorry if that's weird but you are beautiful I can't help it"

"Honestly I think about you everyday all day, I just didn't want to seem weird. "

"Oh okay so the feelings mutual then"

"Haha I guess so"

"You know maybe you should try to get enrolled in the high school and the girls in the elementary."

"Don't parents have to do that"

"Maybe mine can"

"Really!?"

"Yea they are pretty cool."

"Oh my gosh Eli! That would be wonderful! The girls have been missing their friends from last year I think it would be good if they could meet new kids!"

"And the best part if you get enrolled in high school we could hang out more often and get to know each other like you said."

"That would be nice" she giggles back, blushing.

"Would you like to come inside to meet my folks and talk to them?"

"Uh I don't know if I should leave the girls alone so long. They are really young."

"That's true... You know what go get them, they should meet my parents too!"

"Okay I'll be back in five"

I turn and watch as Maria wanders down the street back to her sister. She is beautiful, her long brown hair frames her face as her bright green eyes steal the show. She is wearing a dark green  shirt and jeans and she looks amazing. The trees around her match her shirt yet she still stands out. I cant comprehend how one person could mean this much to me, and I barley know her. I wonder if she really does think of me throughout her day. I would hope so because I for sure do.

I watch as she talk to the girls and they jump up with excitement. They all hold hands and skip back. Maria laughs when she sees me watching, her face turns red from embarrassment. Although she shouldn't be embarrassed it's cute how much she loves her sisters.

"Eliiiiiiii" the girls shout as they approach my front door.

"Hey girls! Are you happy you can go to school?"

"Yessss we are!!"

"I'm glad now let's head inside" I say as I hold the door open for them.

"Thanks Eli this really does me a lot!" Maria whispers while walking past me. 

"What?!? I'm just holding the door" I laugh

Maria laughs back and walks inside. I look around telling them to get comfortable as I find my parents. They are fighting of course, they always are fighting. I stand to the side of their bedroom door hearing them scream at each other. I listen carefully and once again it's about money. Dad tries to reason with my mom but it never seems to work. The more they talk about It the more worked up they get. The fighting keeps getting worse. Yesterday I swear I heard someone slap the other. It really hurts me, more then I can explain. I wish I could tell my mom how much I have saved from mowing laws but she doesn't want me to work, she wants to provide me what I need like most moms. I want to help her and dad, I'm afraid if I don't worse things will happen.

I wait for a moment for them to take a breath then I walk in. I explain everything to them and they just love the idea of helping Maria and her sisters out. I begin to tell my mom Maria's story about her parents and my moms eyes become teary, and her face turned as red as fire. She always gets emotional as she lost her mother when she was 10 and her dad passed when she was 12. My mom luckily could live with her loving aunt, but it was never what she dreamed her life would be like. My parents look at each other the same way they always do after fights, with regret. I know they love each other there is no doubt about it, but the fighting is getting to intense. My mom leans closer to my dad and her puts his arm tightly around her, as if he is protecting her from the hatred and depression that fills their small bedroom. He stands up and intertwines there fingers and they walk out to meet Maria and the girls. After the fight they are always like this, close as if they don't want the other to be hurt or feel that there aren't feelings there.