Chapter Two

Chapter Two

I glanced out of the window to see each member of my family smiling and waving as the plane began to take off. I couldn’t help the grin that found itself on my lips. I waved back, knowing how hard this was for my family to be letting me go out and see the world. To travel. I was excited yet nervous at the same time. I didn’t know exactly what awaited me in Volterra. If we didn’t find the four Volturi guards in Rome, I had no idea how I would get there. We only had a small amount of money with us. The surprise I felt when mother had finally agreed to let me go was unexpected and thrilling. It had taken me almost a full twenty four hours to have mother agree.

I looked over towards Chloe who was currently on the phone with an unknown person. Apparently she had a boyfriend from another school. She barely ever mentioned him, so when she did, I was surprised to hear they were still going strong. That was, until today. I sat silently, pondering my thoughts while waiting for Chloe to finish up her phone call, which she really shouldn’t have been using anyway.

“Yeah, I know, I’m sorry. Okie dokie. I'll see you round. I know you do. Bye.” I glanced over at Chloe curiously, wondering what the heck that was about as she sat back down in her chair. “I just broke up with him. He was an ass anyway. I mean, we're going to Italy! Who knows how many juicy men there are out there waiting for us?” I chuckled quietly and shook my head at her.

“Perhaps for you, but I am not quite looking for another lover just yet.” Chloe sighed but looked away, not speaking for a while.

“You speak so weird, Rez. Honestly, if I didn’t know better I would think you were mad and thought yourself to be a twentieth century queen or something. Anyway, we have eight and a half hours left of being on this damn plane, why don’t you tell me how you got your parents to agree to letting you go to the enemy's lair. I know how protective they are. Oh, and once you have told me everything about that, why don’t you tell me why the Cullen's and Volturi are enemies.” Again, I found myself laughing at her words. I didn’t have a problem with telling her our stories, but I felt she would be better seeing the first one instead of hearing.

“I could probably show you better than I could tell you.” Chloe looked surprised, as I had always been so reluctant to let her experience my talent, but today was a day of new beginnings and new adventures. One small experience wouldn’t change anything other than how Chloe looked at me. I watched as her head nodded and she held her hand out, where I placed mines in hers, delving into the memory together. Although it didn’t feel as real to me, because I knew I was controlling how much she saw and how little she didn’t.

Earlier this morning.

“But Mother, I'm fifteen, I can't spend all of eternity under the protection of my family. Plus Chloe will be there with me. I can phone you everyday and I promise I won't do anything stupid or reckless. It's just for a few months. I can come home whenever I want to because they told me they'd let me go without pursuing after me.” Mother sighed as I followed her into the kitchen. I had just about made her lose the plot last night with my constant nagging and pleading. I sat down on one of the stools, completely ignoring Jacob who had popped in for some food. Watching my mother make me my breakfast, I listened to her muttering to herself before she turned to face me.

“Renesmee, never start a sentence with the word ‘but’. Also, I understand you want to go more than anything. I know the feeling. When I was a few years older than you, I would have given my life to become immortal so I could spend the rest of eternity with your father, whom I love very much. I almost did give my own life for you. I knew the possibility of dying, yet I made the decision to have you born anyway. I wouldn’t have wished for it go any different. I have a daughter now, something I didn’t know I wanted until I was pregnant. This is a completely different scenario though. You want to walk into and live with the Volturi merely so you can travel. I don’t even want to risk not getting you back. We have no idea if what they say is true. I can't risk losing you to them. With you, they have this entire family in the palm of their hands. Do you not understand that?” I nodded my head solemnly.