How To Save A Life

Step one, you say, "We need to talk."
He walks, you say, "Sit down. It's just a talk."

"Norge, I know something's up. Can we have a little chat?" The wild haired Dane had a serious tone for once. Norway's stoic personality had shifted negatively over the past few months. Denmark, though he's never told Norway or anyone else out loud, really loved his Norwegian companion. He had to know what was going on in that pretty little mind. Norway gave Denmark a suspicious look, raising an eyebrow silently. Denmark threw a fake cheery grin, "Sit down, Norgey. It's just a talk."

He smiles politely back at you
You stare politely right on through

Norway gave the Danish man a once-over glance and sighed, taking a seat. He nodded politely in Denmark's direction, urging him to speak first, his stoic expression never left his face. Denmark tried to start a normal conversation with the small Norwegian man, a fake grin plastered on his face. The little grin refused to make it to his eyes, as all his other smiles normally would. Deep down, he could feel something wasn't right with his love, and it made it impossible to smile with genuine happiness. "You're a stupid Dane, you know that?" Norway said, as a pause came up between conversation. Denmark let out a half hearted chuckle. Had it been any other time, Denmark would've slung his arm over Norway's shoulder whilst laughing and said something along the lines of "Come on, Norge! You know you couldn't live without me!" However, with the current situation, he couldn't muster the heart it would've taken to do that.

Some" sort of window to your right
As he goes left and you stay right

Denmark tried to steer the conversation toward how Norway had been recently. If anything big happened in his country, or to him. Norway kept insisting he was fine, and that nothing big had happened. Denmark didn't want to explicitly state that he knew something was wrong, but he refused to let Norway change the subject. Denmark only wanted to see Norway back to normal and happy. He knew he had almost no chance to get with the Norwegian, but he could at least watch out for him and try to keep him well off. He had already failed Norway once in the past, when Norway had been stolen away from him. He'd never forgive himself for letting that happen, so now he had a chance to redeem himself a little. He could help Norway this time!

Between the lines of fear and blame
You begin to wonder why you came

Norway was getting exceptionally annoyed with Denmark's attempts to help him. Denmark could see it. He could see it in the twitch downward of the corner of Norway's mouth, in the roll of Norway's eyes at every other comment he made, in the annoyed sigh when he prodded for information. Denmark could see the signs, and it only made him more worried. His heart ached, for he didn't know what had happened to the man he loved. He was afraid to get an answer, and he had nowhere to put the blame to comfort his own storming thoughts. He had begun wondering why he bothered to try. Norway was never open with anyone, let alone the 'stupid, annoying Dane he was forced to tolerate on a daily basis.' What good was he doing for either of them?

Where did I go wrong? I lost a friend
Somewhere along in the bitterness
And I would have stayed up with you all night
Had I known how to save a life

After the first talk, Norway became even more distant, and showed signs of chronic depression. Denmark had only meant to help. He felt like he was losing Norway completely. Had he caused Norway to become this way? In all their history, Denmark had never wanted to bring harm to the stoic man whole stole her heart. Maybe there was more he could've done. Maybe he could've fixed Norway if he had seen those signs early on. Maybe he should've been more patient. He should've been quieter. He should've been softer. He should've been more patient. There were so many things he should've done better. He felt like he had failed himself and, more importantly, he had failed his precious Norway.