"Homecoming is close," Paula said. "Are we going?"

Maggie nodded. "I totally am. What about you, Ella?" She asked, tilting her head to the side slightly.

I hadn't really thought about Homecoming. I suppose I had seen the posters around the school but I didn't pay much attention to them. I was okay with not going, but with the eager expressions on my friends faces, I decided I would give it a chance.

"Yeah, definitely. When is it exactly?" I questioned. Paula answered quickly, telling me it was only in two weeks.

I still have to get my mother's permission, but I'm sure she'll let me go. She's been waiting for my homecoming night since the day I was born. I'll need a dress, so I plan it out in my head to check in with my mother after school and then head to the store.

"I already have my dress," Paula says dreamily. "It's so, so pretty, guys. It goes to my knee, and it's red and sparkly. It's beautiful."

Maggie scoffs. "I'm going classy, black is my way to go."

"I don't have a dress yet," I admit. They both raise eyebrows at this. "I'll be fine, though, I'm getting one soon."

The bell dismissing us for our classes comes along and we all scurry in different directions. On my way out of the cafeteria I lock eyes with Ashton, but he glances away quickly.

Does that mean he doesn't want a label on our relationship? I hate to keep going the way we are, liking each other but not doing anything about our status. But I'd keep going, just because I like him so much.

Fifth, sixth, seventh, and eighth period all fly by, and I'm walking outside of the school's front entrance, heading for home.

Today was exhausting, and as much as I'd love to go home and sleep, I really need to get a dress for homecoming.

I don't see Ashton's motorcycle in the parking lot so he either didn't drive it today, which is unlikely, or he left already. Was our conversation this morning that awkward and complicated for him?

I purse my lips and cross my arms as I gaze at his empty parking space. But I rush home quickly, and once I get there I greet my mother in the living room.

"Hey, honey. How was school?" She asks. "Good?"

"Um, yeah," I say hurriedly. "Can I go get a homecoming dress? I'll be home by seven or eight, I promise."

My mother's eyes widen and she reaches for a tissue on the side table beside her chair. "Of course, oh my gosh, my little baby is growing up!"

"Woah, mom. Chill," I laugh nervously.

"Okay, okay." She digs around in her purse for a second before pulling out an enormous wad of cash.

"Mom, no. I have money that I can make due w-" I start but she cuts me off.

"No way. My baby is going to look stunning at her dance and make all the boys jaws drop to the floor, and all the girls swoon over her dress, and even the teachers will-"

"Alright, mom. I got it," I mumble, walking over to her to retrieve the money. I truly don't need it, I have a lot of money saved up. "I'll be back shortly," I tell her.