Chapter 3: Bonding Over Baby-sitting

It was hard getting up the next day knowing that she had to go to the marina and tell Richard that Jess was dead and Sadie was nearly in tears when they left and made their way back to the Jeffersonian. 

"What's going on here?" Booth asked rushing over when they arrived to find Dr. Brennan arguing with Cam and a security guard.

"The daycare director isn't here today and I don't trust her substitute, but Cam won't let me have Christine in the lab." Brennan said exasperatedly.

"I'm sorry Dr. Brennan, but children are not allowed in the lab that's just the way it is." Cam said crossing her arms over her chest.

"Dr. Brennan, I hope you don't think it forward of me, but I could watch her for you. I'm a certified baby-sitter." Sadie interjected. Sharing a look Booth and Brennan both turned to her and smiled.

"Thanks kid, but are you sure it's not too much trouble?" Booth asked as Brennan handed her their daughter.

"Of course not; it's totally fine." Sadie said looking down at the adorable little girl.

"Um, would you mind watching Michael too?" Angela asked.

"Sure." 

At that point Booth's phone rang. Picking it up he spent a few minutes on the phone before flipping it shut with a happy smile on his face.

"They got a match on the class ring that was in the snake's stomach." He said heading for the door, but stopped half way there.

"Damn it, I have to go pick Parker up from school." He said turning back to the group.

"Don't worry about it. I'm already watching two kids; what's one more?" Sadie said quickly to keep him from stressing.

"You're a life saver kid, just, uh, just take them to the park or something. Call us if you need anything." Booth said flashing her a grateful smile before he and Brennan rushed out the door.

"I'll get the kids stuff together and write down Parker's school for you; Hodgins can you put the car seats in her car?" Angela asked. With a quick nod Hodgins was out the door to take care of the car seats and Angela was headed to daycare to get Michael and the kids stuff.

"Okay, it's not that I don't trust you, but I spoke to your doctor and she warned me that your headache's could cause fainting if you over exert yourself. I'm sending Finn with you; he needs some time out of the lab." Cam said ushering the young man over to them. He paused slightly when he saw Sadie holding Christine, but managed a faint smile at the scene. Once Angela and gotten back with Michael and the baby bags they made their way out to the parking lot and strapped the kids in. When everything was secured and taken care of Sadie, Finn, and the kids headed to the school.

"Hey, Parker, your dad said sorry for not being here to pick you up, but he had to go catch someone. Finn and I have been asked to take you, Christine, and Michael to the park." Sadie said as he ran over and hugged her. She had only met Booth's son once when she was dropping more names off at their house, but the little boy seemed to like her and eagerly hopped in the car between the two car seats. He spent the entire ride to the park talking to the younger kids about his day and making everyone laugh, everyone except Finn. As soon as they got to the park Parker headed for the swings while Sadie and Finn made their way to a nearby bench with the babies.

"What's wrong, Finn?" Sadie asked looking over at him. He had been acting unusually distant for the past few days and it was starting to worry her.

"I'm fine." He said flatly looking down at Michael sitting on his lap.

"Finn, I can tell something's bothering you and it's not because I got hurt yesterday. You've been acting weird ever since Michelle came to visit you the day I brought Jax in. So, what is it? You can tell me." Sadie persisted. Looking over at her Finn sighed and took his hat off to run a hand through his hair.

"Michelle and I broke up. She said she wouldn't be able to handle the long distance when she left for college." He said softly. With a deep frown Sadie put a comforting hand on his shoulder, but instantly regretted it when her baggy jacket sleeve slid down to reveal the cuts on her arm. At the sight of them Finn grabbed her hand and brought it down in front of him as she turned away.

"Why would do this?" He asked looking up at her with a sad expression.

"I haven't exactly had the best life. I'm not proud of what I 've done to myself or what I do to myself, but it seems like every time I need someone I'm completely alone. Jessica got me to stop a few years ago, but now that she's gone; I-I don't know, I just...I couldn't think of anything else." She replied sounding more sad than angry like he had expected.

"I can help." Finn whispered. Sadie felt her heart skip and looked back at him right as he leaned down to kiss the scars and new cuts.

"What about Michelle? You can't be over he already." She questioned.

"No I'm not, but it was her decision to leave. I can't live in the past my whole life or I'll miss out on everything else; I can't take that chance. I don't wanna miss out on anything and with that I'd like to ask you somethin'. Would you like to go out with me some time?" He asked. Sadie was more than surprised to feel a wide smile spread across her face as she gave a small nod. Finn smiled back as he laced his fingers with her's, but their moment was interrupted by Parker calling to them.

"Sadie, Finn! Come swing with me!" He called joyfully. Smiling again the pair stood and carried the bags and babies over to the swings. Finn put Michael in one of the toddler swings and let Parker push him while he took a seat between Michael and Sadie. Sadie looked happy and content as she swayed her and Christine back and forth on the swing slowly.

"Y'all are cuter than a June bug in a jumpsuit. You're gonna be a great mom some day." He said as Sadie started to hum a tune he didn't know. For once in her life it felt like things would be okay; that everything was turning around.