Chapter 45 A world of Pain

Start from the beginning

“You haven’t changed one bit,” Kakashi smiled at her, “still defending the weak.”
“Is that such a bad thing then?” Taryn asked.
Kakashi shook his head and sat down beside her on his couch. “Not at all. It’s admirable.” He sighed. “But I meant what I said. You would have made it worse.”
“Where are his parents?” Taryn asked, “why didn’t they step in?”
“They are both dead,” Kakashi told her, “they died in the Kyuubi attack.”
“And they sealed the nine tails in him?” Taryn asked in disbelieve.
“The Fourth Hokage did it himself,” Kakashi nodded.
Taryn was silent and stared at the floor. Her thoughts returned to Gaara. The boys were so similar. Was her brother still suffering like that? She wondered again is she shouldn’t have just taken him with her. It was too late for that now. Too many years had passed. Too much had happened.
“Hey,” Kakashi said softly, turning her face towards him, “he’ll be alright. You’ll see.”
It took a moment for her to realize he was talking about Naruto and not Gaara. He didn’t know the truth about her brother. She hadn’t told anyone. Not even the Hokage. No matter what had happened, she would not betray Suna’s secrets. Especially this one.
She gave him a weak smile and gazed at his face. In the privacy of his home, Kakashi always went unmasked. She was used to it by now, but his kind eyes made her uncomfortable. They were glowing with more than comfort. And her heart belonged to someone else, while she was painfully aware of his feelings for her. Still, when he leaned in she found herself unable to move. His lips brushed hers in a soft kiss and it took her two full seconds to react.
“I’m sorry,” Kakashi said.
Taryn cleared her throat. She didn’t look at him. “You shouldn’t have done that,” her voice was strangely hoarse.
“I know.”
It didn’t sound like he regretted it though. Taryn turned back to him. She sighed, choosing her words carefully. “Perhaps…. Perhaps it would be better if I stayed somewhere else.”
“You don’t have to go,” Kakashi protested.
“I think I do.”
Kakashi shook his head and took her hand. “Don’t go. I can control myself.”
“That’s not the point,” Taryn said and stood up, “it’s not right, me staying here.”
“The Hokage…”
“I’ll talk to the Hokage tomorrow,” Taryn cut him off.
“And where will you go?” Kakashi asked. He had stood up too, “to the Hyuuga Compound? They refused to house you.”
Taryn gave him a cold glare. “I’ll find a place.”
“You have a place.”
“Don’t do this Kakashi,” she warned him.
“Why are you making this such a problem?” he asked, “why now?”
Taryn’s eyes turned sad. She didn’t want to hurt him, but she couldn’t stay here. “Goodnight Kakashi,” she said and walked out of the room.

 ***

Sarutobi sighed and folded his hands as he looked at the girl that was standing in his office. She had uttered her request in a casual tone, but wouldn’t look him in the eye. He wasn’t sure what to think of this. “Did you have fall-out with Kakashi?” he asked. He saw her stiffen for a moment.
“No,” she stated with a stubborn look.
Sarutobi rested his chin on his hands. He’d prefer if Kakashi kept keeping an eye on her. Not that he didn’t trust the girl, but without Kakashi she’d be completely isolated. “And where would you go?’ he asked, knowing no one would take her in.
“I could take up residence in the Uchiha Quarters,” she answered him.
“And run into Sasuke every day?” the Hokage stated, “no.”
“Somewhere else then?” Taryn begged, “anywhere.”
Sarutobi regarded her for a long time. He suddenly realized what had brought this up. “Does it bother you that much?” he asked, “that Kakashi has feelings for you?”
Taryn looked at the floor. “It would only complicate things,” she said.
“In case you’re leaving again,” the Hokage said.
“I didn’t say…” Taryn protested.
“But you implied it,” he cut her off.
“I can’t give him what he wants,” Taryn muttered.
“Not even if you try?” Sarutobi asked curiously, “or perhaps you do return his feelings, but you’re afraid to accept them because of Itachi?” She didn’t answer him. Sarutobi sighed. “Sit down Taryn.” He watched as she took a chair and hung her head. The Hokage knew he had to bring it to her carefully. He didn’t want her to leave again, though he had a feeling it would come to that eventually. For now he’d do what was necessary to keep her here. No matter what had befallen her, he did care for this girl. And with Orochimaru having let his eye fall on her it was even more important to tie her to this village. “I have been watching you these last couple of weeks,” he said, “you interact well with Kakashi and you get along just fine. There was no problem when you went on a mission with him and Hayate recently.”
Taryn opened her mouth to speak but the Hokage raised a hand to cut her off.
“I don’t see what has changed and I see no reason why you should stop living with Kakashi. You know it was one of the conditions of you staying in Konoha.”
“If you still don’t trust me then there is no reason for me to stay in Konoha,” Taryn said.
“It’s not a matter of trust. I think it’s in your best interest if you continue to live with Kakashi.”
“I’m not a child,” Taryn growled, “I don’t need a babysitter.”
“You are always by yourself, Taryn. If you lived on your own it would only create more distance between you and the other shinobi.”
“They don’t want me around,” Taryn muttered.
“It is you that encourages their attitude by ignoring them. You come off hostile. And I know that is not truly you. I know you haven’t had it easy, but I’d like you to put in more effort.”
“I will,” Taryn promised, “but I can do that on my own.”
“I know Kakashi well,” Sarutobi said sternly, “and I know he is an honorable man. He will not push you into things you don’t want to do and I know you know this too.”