Homesick Homies

[Aquaphobia]

[Aquaphobia]

Xiao was a lifeless ragdoll in the arms that held her, sopping wet and eyes closed. She wasn't dead, but she was close. She had been grabbed from the depths of the water and her life saved by CPR, yet still left unconscious. Whether it was mouth-to-mouth, or chest pumping it was awkward all the same.

By the time the trio reached the apartment, her rescuer, none other than her homie himself, no longer had the strength to carry her or stand on his own two feet.

He spilled out on the ground before him, dropping the girl with a loud thump.

His uncle quickly rushed to his aid, taking both children to rest.

[Hiraeth]

I wake in my room. Drowsiness, weakness; it feels real enough. That is proof enough for me that I am alive.

I blink my eyes at the daylight slowly, rubbing at my temples. Consciously, I take a breath of air and am more than glad that the choking feeling is gone. I touch my throat uncomfortably, reminded of being filled with water. I can hear, I can touch, I can breath. Never again do I ever want to go through that experience again.

I slowly rise from my futon. I'm a little wobbly, but I'm standing. The wobbly feeling disappears after a few steps, as I reach for my door. I stop, remembering Long Feng's face and go over to my window, shutting it and drawing the blinds.

I then go to my door, sliding it open and beginning to go over to the window when I notice Zuko wrapped up in blankets and Iroh tending to him. "What happened to him?" In worry I rush over.

"Xiao! Your awake!" Iroh exclaims first, prompting me to turn around. "Food, right away. You must be hungry! You need to eat!"

I turn around sheepishly, still not quite aware of my surroundings. "Do I? I can't say I have much of an appetite."

"You must eat a little. It's been three days," he says concernedly, coming to reach for my forehead as I take in this ludicrous information. All he gets is my cold sweat, but no feverish heat emanating. "There's a some jook. on the stove top."

I slowly shuffle over, spooning a little into a bowl. "Three days..."

"You almost died, if it hadn't been for Zuko being quick."

"I did?" It is what Long Feng would have wanted. The man swimming to me might have been a trick of my mind in the last moments, but that sabotage wasn't. Someone recognized me.

"Xiao... you mistake my care as sympathy, and forcibly distance us. Just as I am worried for Zuko, I am worried for you. I think of him as my own, ever since I lost my son, and I know you feel the deep desire to protect him to repent for Lu-Ten," his eyes tearing up surprise me. "But the danger in the North Pole to here— I do not want to see you get hurt anymore for our sake."