Chapter Twenty

"Pray forgive me. Darach ne'er told me you were here."

Darach looked down at his wife and his heart swelled. She was so lovely, all flushed and bright-eyed from their lovemaking, hair a little mussed even though she'd brushed it. His brothers and Gregor stood in front of the hearth in the great hall staring at her with grins on their faces. They knew what had taken place upstairs and took no offense at being left to amuse themselves for a few hours. A man had his priorities – making love to his bride was at the top of the list.

She'd protested when he'd first told her about their visitors, but he'd quickly brought her attention back to the task at hand. Afterwards, she'd scolded him the entire time she washed and dressed, saying, "they'll think I'm wanton". By the time they were ready to meet their guests, she was like a flustered hen. Darach was prepared for anything to spew out of her mouth.

"We were praying," she said. "As you know, my husband is a very pious man and takes his devotions seriously."

His brothers and Gregor raised their eyebrows, except Lachlan who coughed into his hand. Darach gave him a stern look, which Lachlan ignored. He moved forward to greet Caitlin with a kiss. "Aye lass, for sure we heard him exclaiming to the Lord a few times. He sounded quite overcome."

She nodded earnestly. "Aye, he was lost to the pleasure of prayer."

Gregor took her hands in his, looking very pleased. "I'm Gregor, lass. I too believe 'tis important to pray often. When my Kellie was alive, she led me to the altar every night before bed and sometimes again in the morning. I miss her dearly."

Darach sighed silently and rolled his eyes. The bastards were going to play this for all it was worth. Thank God, Caitlin was oblivious, and his brothers knew not to laugh. If they did, he would have to kill them. He would not have her feelings hurt.

Kerr came forward next, shoving Lachlan out of the way. "'Tis a pleasure, Caitlin. You seem like a lovely lass. Congratulations on your nuptials. It would please me to introduce you to my Isobel, maybe you can instruct her on the need to pray with her man."

"Oh, aye. I would be happy to," she said, looking a wee bit guilty.

Darach squeezed her fingers to let her know she had his support, even though she'd lied yet again. He supposed it was all right as long as no one was hurt. It wasn't as if anyone believed her, you just had to look at her face to know the truth.

Callum pushed between Gregor and Kerr. "I'm Callum, lass. My Maggie is more likely to wield a dagger than the holy book, but when we're finally married, I plan to teach her every prayer there is. Maybe you could give me some advice?"

Caitlin looked at him seriously. "Well, one can pray anywhere, aye, but 'tis always best to get on your knees. Maybe with another person, in a church or a bedchamber. And people often use things like candles or beads to enhance their prayers. Some of the best prayer I've had was with Darach when we used a candle. Of course, he was sick at the time, but 'tis important to know how to pray by oneself, as well."

His brothers and Gregor looked at Caitlin with varying expressions of amusement and disbelief on their faces. Silence reigned a moment before Gavin turned to Darach and said, "You're one fortunate bastard. A beautiful woman who has nary a bone of deceit in her body and likes to pray. Unbelievable." He walked forward and kneeled in front of Caitlin. "You are sister to us all now, Caitlin. I'm Gavin, and it fills me with joy to make your acquaintance."

She blushed prettily, and Darach wrapped his arm around her. He kissed the top of her head. Aye, he was fortunate, married to the sweetest, purest, most amusing woman in all the Highlands. He prayed – a real prayer this time – she would retain her innocence for all their years together.