Chapter Eleven

Darach reached out for the bank. His fingertips slipped along mud and rocks before tangling in tree roots. He seized them and pulled upwards, breaking the surface. As he gasped for air, he heard Caitlin do the same. Then she coughed and retched up water. Her teeth chattered so violently he was afraid she would bite through her tongue.

"We're almost there, Caitlin. Hold on."

Above him, Skoll barked. Darach considered untying her and pushing her up, but he was afraid of losing his grip and the current stealing her away. Instead, he searched along the bank for an easier place to exit, but it was too dark to see. Resigning himself to scrambling out where they were, he felt with his feet for a toehold and found a submerged boulder to his left. He grabbed another root further along and climbed onto the rock. The river dropped to his waist.

When he searched for another handhold higher up, he found only mud, but then Skoll's strong jaws clamped onto his wrist and tugged. Darach dug his toes into the bank and climbed upward as the dog pulled from above.

They ended up half way over the edge. The slippery mud was unstable and they slid back a few inches. The dog tugged again, and the bank began to crumble.

"Skoll, release!"

He let go, whining anxiously. Darach barely breathed, afraid the mud would disintegrate underneath them and sweep them back into the river. He had to move before Caitlin was crushed or they froze to death, but their position was precarious. Stretching his arms out as far as he could, he swung his leg to the side and over the edge. It caught and held.

"Come here, lad. Help me now."

Skoll grasped his arm again, and this time when he pulled, Darach used his leg to lever himself and Caitlin up and onto his back. The large dog dragged them clear of the edge just as the bank gave way. Darach quickly crawled a few feet into the forest, just to be safe, then leaned against a tree to catch his breath. Caitlin trembled in his arms. He rubbed her gently to warm her, afraid to press too hard in case she was bruised or broken.

"Darach," she murmured.

"Aye, lass."

"Take me home."

He covered her ears then whistled sharply for his horse, hoping the stallion would hear him above the storm. If not, he would carry her back.

When the stallion whinnied nearby a minute later, he had never been so happy.

The journey back seemed to take forever. Darach wrapped Caitlin in his extra plaid and held her close, but her shivering never stopped.

"Forgive me," she repeated over and over and called out deliriously for his dogs and Cloud.

About half way there, Hati appeared. Darach assured Caitlin her canine savior was alive and well. Unfortunately, he could not say the same for the white stallion.

The portcullis was raised when they arrived at the castle. He slowed just long enough to tell the guard to call off the search. The light and warmth of the keep beckoned and he spurred his mount the rest of the way. Sliding from the horse with Caitlin in his arms, he ran up the steps and inside. Both hearths were blazing with fire, heating the air.

When he saw Caitlin clearly for the first time, his heart stuttered. Mud caked her hair and her lips and skin were tinged blue. She appeared to have lost consciousness.

Edina raced down the stairs, hair standing out in untidy tufts. "You found her!"

"Aye, but she's frozen. I need a fire and bath in my chambers."