Prologue: It All Started Like This

*Author's Note: Hey guys! I'm back with a new book! :) Hope you all will enjoy this one, and don't forget to support my two other books as well :) Do vote, comment and recommend this book to others if you enjoyed it. I especially love comments - they mean the world to me!
xoxo, cherryworks_*

Useless Brooklyn.

Stupid Brooklyn.

Burying my face in my pillow, I allowed my emotions to take over me and let the tears flow.

I didn't care that I was wailing loudly like some noisy five-year-old who wasn't able to get his candy, or how unsightly I must have looked with my makeup streaming down my face like a river and staining my pillow (I'd have to trouble Eva to change the pillow cover again).

All I did care about, though, was what had happened earlier - seeing my ex-boyfriend and my ex-best friend, walking hand in hand and laughing as they walked down the streets together. Who would have thought I would meet them again, after all these years?

Two years ago, on the last day of  sophomore year in my previous high school, my then-boyfriend Evan admitted to me that he'd been seeing my then-best friend Denise behind my back for two years. Two whole years and I never suspected anything.

Evan and I have known each other since we were three, and became a couple in middle school. He was my first love, and I loved him so, so much. And I loved Denise a lot, too. So imagine the hurt and shock I felt when I realised that the two of them had been dating in secret. And two years was no short period of time.

Upon finding out how broken I was, my billionaire father quickly made the arrangements to transfer me to another school, one that was far away from theirs, and life continued like that. I wanted to start afresh, but unfortunately, after all these years, I still couldn't get over Evan. I haven't even gotten an official boyfriend yet, and I was already in my senior year.

Stupid Brooklyn, I chided myself in my head, just get over him already!

Memories of us hanging out together flooded my mind - those bittersweet moments and the sweet feeling I got every time he smiled at me or hugged me or kissed me - causing sadness to overwhelm me and the pain to nibble at my heart.

When will I ever be able to get over this stupid feeling?

A soft knock on the door pulled me back to reality.

"Don't come in, I look ugly right now," I grumbled in a voice that was loud enough for whoever was outside to hear.

But the person ignored my warning and headed in anyway. "My poor princess," the soothing voice I was only too familiar with cooed.

I looked up from my pillow and spotted my father coming in with a pained look on his face as he came over and sat on the edge of my canopy bed. "My poor little girl," he said again, bringing his hand over my hair with sadness in his eyes. "Is it that Evan guy again?"

I sat up and hugged my father tightly. He was still in his business suit - evidence that he'd only just gotten back from work. Although it was already 11pm. Which was really sweet of him that he came straight to my room the minute he came home. "Yes, Daddy," I muttered bitterly, before telling him about everything while blowing into several wads of tissue paper from time to time.

Dad fell silent for a moment. Actually, he was quiet for a really, really long while. He didn't say the usual stuff like "You'll get over it soon, my little princess" and "Soon you'll realise he's not worth it, once you find someone else, my little cupcake". Instead he just sat there and stared at me, quietly and expressionlessly, for a long time.

By then, my tears had already stopped flowing. I wiped my tear-stained face with tissue and waved a flimsy piece of tissue paper in front of Dad's face. "Dad? Daddy? Mr Larrington?" I questioned, wondering if his soul had flown elsewhere.

That caused him to jerk out of his thoughts and back to reality. "Sorry, Brooklyn," he hastily said, "your daddy was just coming up with an ingenious plan, to help you successfully get over your heartbreak."

I knitted my eyebrows together. "What plan?" He was going to help me get over my heartbreak? My dad?

His wrinkled, exhausted face broke into a wide grin, and his green eyes twinkled playfully. "We're going to get you married."

At that juncture, the wads of tissue paper slipped from my fingers and my mouth dropped.

"Get me...what?"