There was a mix of applause and boos, likely from girls assuming I was a girlfriend and wanted Nolan for themselves.

I forced a nervous wave and then looked over my shoulder to the rest of the band. Holden nodded and mouthed Its fine.

Nolan slung his arm over my shoulder casually. "Say hi Carter." He urged and forced the mic into my face.

I took his wrist and gently lowered the mic as it was practically pressed against my nose. "Uh, hi?"

Nolan brought the mic back to his mouth. "Rumors fly, photos are taken, the world is asking who is Nolan Doufer's mystery girl and here she is! Carter Reid, ladies and gentlemen, is not my girlfriend." The crowd cheered and I couldn't help but roll my eyes. "I don't even like her!" He yelled into the mic and more applause. "But, I mean we have to give her some credit. She did book the plane ticket, and the hotel, and pick my wardrobe. I wouldn't even be here tonight without her nagging and lecturing and harassing me all week. So really, you guys should be thanking her!"

He stepped back, and held his hands out to me in a show case kind of way. The crowd cheered and I gave Nolan a perplexed look. He called me out to give me credit? This isn't the Nolan I knew. Not at all.

I accepted my applause and tried to sneak off the stage but Nolan caught me by the wrist and pulled me back and into him, immediately putting his arm around my waist and keeping me at his side "Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to invite my dear assistant to do a duet with me."

I actually laughed and shook my head. He was out of his mind.

"You see Carter here is a skilled pianist." Nolan continued and I shot him a frustrated look. How had he even found that out? "And she's going to help me play and sing a brand. New. Song." The crowd cheered.

I tossed a look to the rest of the band who looked as clueless as I did. Nolan motioned for me to sit on the keyboard that was rolled onto the stage. I shook my head and he waved me forward with more force this time.

"I can't, not in front of everyone." I whispered to Nolan who ignored my plea.

I glanced to the crowd, and then Nolan again who accepted a guitar and took a seat and motioned for me to sit at the keyboard they'd placed right beside him.

"You're writing again?" I whispered.

"No love."

I reluctantly sat at the keyboard, thousands of cheering fans pressuring me to do so. A microphone was moved in front of me and lowered as I was seated. I was going to hurl.

I had never played for anyone before. I had barely played at all in the last five years.

I wiggled my fingers, nervously trying to get them to limber up. Jesus, why would he do this to me? "I'm not singing."

Nolan brought the microphone dangerously close to his mouth, the lighting dimmed to adhere to the acoustic song. "Ladies and gentlemen." He breathed into the microphone and was silent for several minutes as the crowd cheered. I cleared my throat and opened up the sheet music. "Carter Reid's When You See Me."

I froze.

Nolan started strumming slowly on his guitar, when I didn't begin playing the piano he looked back to me and nodded.