Thirty Five

"You're never gonna get it I'm a hazard to myself I'll break it to you easy, this is hell, this is hell."

------------ We Don't Have To Dance - Andy Black ------------

                There was a banging on our hotel room. With a yawn I rolled out of bed. Who bangs on the door this late? I gave my phone a quick glance just to see how late this late was and grimaced.

I opened the door without turning the lights on and was surprised to see two police officers at the door. Well, I was surprised for a second before remembering who exactly I was sharing a room with. I sighed heavily. We had had a good run. "Whatever he did we'll pay for it."

"Evening ma'am. We're looking for Mr. Doufer. I trust you know where he is." One officer said and tipped his hat slightly to me.

"Look officers, whatever the problem is-"

"It's not a matter of paying ma'am."

I pursed my lips. I was in a tank top and loose pajama shorts, my hair pulled into a sloppy bun and the eyeliner I hadn't wiped off before going to sleep was smeared. I looked a mess but despite all of that I did the good law abiding citizen thing and turned the light on. "Yes, I do know where he is. He's in his hotel room." I admitted. "If you'll tell me what the problem is I'd be happy to fetch him." As it would turn out, no fetching needed done. I followed their gaze to the couch where a mop of blankets was positioned into what definitely appeared to be a human form. "What did you do?" I demanded to the slumbering lump.

Nolan groaned in response and the officers moved into the room immediately.

"Hey, wait! What are you doing? What are you doing?" Panic hit me abruptly and I followed on their tail immediately.

Nolan sat up upon hearing my frantic tone. I gasped when I saw him.

"What did you do?" This time it came out as a shriek.

His knuckles were raw, bloodied and scraped. On the couch he had several melted freeze pops I suppose he'd gone to sleep with against his knuckles. His plain grey shirt I recognized as one he only wore to bed or when going out in hopes of not being recognized had blood on the front of it.

One of the officers pulled him to his feet and pulled his arms behind his back a little more roughly than I appreciated.

"Wait, wait, wait, what are you doing?" I demanded and ran to them.

Cuffs snapped around his wrists. He didn't look concerned nor surprised. In fact, he yawned long and hard and then smucked his lips together a few times. "I could make this way more pleasurable for you gents if I tossed a bit of mouth wash down right quick." He said casually over his shoulder to an unamused officer. 

"I'm sure this isn't necessary." I tried and when they began pushing him towards the door cut in front of them putting my hands on Nolan's shoulders in a complete frenzy. "Stop! This is a mistake. This has got to be a mistake."

"Calm down Red." Nolan said in a smooth voice.

I put my hands on either of his cheeks. "Please tell me this is a mistake. Please tell me you haven't done whatever it is they think you've done? Nolan please."

He smirked. Lopsided, cocky, fake as hell and I pulled my bottom lip between my teeth. "Babe, it's cool. I've got this. Go on, get back to bed."