Chapter 1 ~ Square One

I had trusted Liz to keep me safe; she had promised that Flynn was “bomb proof”, that he was so calm that I need not worry about anything going wrong. Yet there I was, jolting up and down uncomfortably on the saddle as Flynn thundered through the paddock, further and further away from Liz and safety.

No matter how much I screamed, the horse would not stop. The only thing that I could do was to hold onto the reins and saddle as tightly as possible, because I knew that it was safer to stay on the out-of-control horse.

As Flynn continued without any hesitation, the house came into view. “Help!” I cried out; it was a Saturday, so I knew that George would be home. I hoped that he would hear me and help me.

In the distance, I could see someone emerging from the shed, but I could see it wasn’t George. At this stage I didn’t care – I just needed this person’s help.

The stranger ran towards me after hesitating for a moment to assess the commotion. He jumped two fences on his way, and without a second thought, stood right in Flynn’s path.

To me, this was the stupidest thing anybody could do. The horse was out of control, and this maniac stranger thought it would be a great idea to stand in its way: genius!

Perhaps he had a death wish.

The stranger – I noticed that he was around my age – stood stock-still on the dusty ground, his hands held up in the air, palms open. With a fiercely determined expression and a gravelly voice to match, the stranger commanded, “Ease up!”

The effect of his words was instantaneous: Flynn immediately slowed his pace, and eventually came to a complete and easy stop in front of the stranger. The stranger stepped forward and took hold of Flynn’s reins, before coming around to the side of the horse to meet me. I was too stunned to speak. I was shaking.

“I reckon it’s time for you to get off now,” the stranger said to me, his voice significantly gentler than his previous roaring command to Flynn. My situation seemed to amuse him.

I held onto the reins and saddle even tighter than before. I’d only learned how to get on a horse a few minutes ago. Liz hadn’t had the opportunity to give me dismounting lessons before Flynn had taken off.

The stranger lifted his free hand and placed it over mine. “Relax,” he told me, and for the first time I met his eyes. They were a stunning dark blue, complementing his sandy blonde hair. I concentrated on his eyes as I tried to steady my breathing.

“Okay,” I said, nodding, trying to convince myself that I was prepared to dismount.

The stranger smiled a gorgeous smile, and asked, “Do you need some help?”

I bit my lip and nodded.

“Didn’t think so,” the stranger said with an amused smile. Before I could react to his comment, he continued, “Take your feet out of the stirrups.” He then lifted my left foot out of the stirrup, and I followed suit with my right. My legs dangled down the sides of the horse, which made me feel less secure about being on the horse.

“Okay,” I said, asking for his next instructions. I had no idea who he was; I had no idea if he knew anything about horses. I myself knew nothing, so I was willing to trust that just about anyone knew more than me, especially if they were willing to stand in front of an out-of-control horse.

“Now bring your leg around, and jump down.”

Still grasping the reins and saddle for support, I tried to move my right leg. “It’s not that simple,” I told the stranger.

“Believe me, it is,” he chuckled. “Lean forward a bit, shift your weight.”

I leaned forward in the saddle, and to my surprise I was able to bring my right leg around the back of the saddle. I moved my right hand to the cantle to hold myself steady, and the stranger placed his hand on the small of my back for added support.