{nineteen}

© 2015 by Nique Joaquin. All rights reserved.

------

5 years ago

I woke up to the cold harsh feeling of winter. The tiny little cabin I had lived in for the past two months, was really only a bit larger than a toolshed, had everything I needed. A tiny 'bathroom' where the sink was right by my old wooden closet and a little wall without a door separated the dinky shower and toilet. The bed was a plain mattress with one pillow and a thin blanket that sat on an old metal bed frame that was pushed against the corner where the fairly large and single window was, there was a tiny stove to cook on near the door facing the bed. A small fridge was to the left, on the other side of the door. I washed my face and opened the closet, grabbing only a single black robe as I stripped down and shrugged it on.

The robe was just a plain thick black robe tied quickly at the waist. It was made out of a thick velvet material and reached my ankles. I walked out of the cabin, the sound of ice being crushed behind my footsteps filling me with a strange feeling of satisfaction, just as I took off the robe just and shifted into my wolf. The liberating feeling of having the cold earth mixed with snow underneath my paws and the even more intense scent of the mountain area I had been assigned to immediately calmed me down.

I made my rounds silently. Sniffing the air and taking in the cold mist. My family has no idea where I am and I have no means to contact them. I return three nights from now for a quick break with my family. I make a sprint for the mountains and catch the scent of something unusual.

The smell of a person, not a wolf, in my territory. I cautiously pass through the mountains and listen. Interactions with humans need to be kept to a minimum, but I have to guard the area. I sniff the area and walk up the mountains, the snow was thicker up here and even my wolf's breath appeared in a cloud of mist before me.

As the scent became stronger I felt a warm sensation run through me before a strong wind blew down on me, I closed my eyes as the wind became harsher before I felt a hand on my head.

"Min silder... my dear child." A voice said and I opened my eyes to a blonde haired man I recognized. I felt no animosity towards him as I sat down in my wolf form and he smiled.

I panted and nuzzled his hand as he looked woefully at me.

"It seems I have no choice in the matter, my dear child..." He says and I tilt my head before he looks at me and sighs. "The pain will be temporary and whatever you know of me will disappear."

I'm about to whimper before the man's eyes turn into a deep blood red. I feel my control over my body being pulled away from me and I feel like I'm suspended in air. I fall with a loud thump onto the ground. My jaw is open and my tongue is panting as I look at the man.

"Nuntiare satren tevra... Renounce your bond." He says coldly and I feel a harsh pain pulse through me. I whimper and whine, howling in pain as the surge of pain eats at my very being.

"Eovre andet, min silder... You still have a purpose to serve, my child." He says and I whine as another pang of pain hits my wolf and I can't resist. My body and mind seem completely bound to his every word. "Don't worry... Your master will return for you... Farvel, Elair." He says just as my vision blurs...

***

I take a deep breath as I sprint through the mountains. Maddox was right behind me as we traced his territory. His jet-black wolf barks as we move left and right, dodging the trees in our way. I bark back as I come to a stop to face him. His eyes widen, his momentum carrying him too far just as I pounce on him, pinning his wolf to the ground. I bark victoriously before Maddox whines below me and I get off him, proudly walking away and sitting down on the ground. Maddox shakes his fur and I bark at him in disgust.