Chapter 47: Company

Ysabeau drew in breath, a witty remark about to spill forth when Andrién gave her a sharp look. "I leave the court only to come back into it. Bonjour, Marguerite." But that was not witty enough, having to tone down her aversion for the femme took considerable discipline.

"Sit down, Ysabeau, we have much to discuss."

"I prefer to stand, thank you."

"Ysabeau." Andrién walked past her, reached for the femme's hand, and kissed her knuckles. Ysabeau snorted and tore her gaze from them. "Now."

"First, I must remove my coats and hat if that is acceptable." There were no servants to assist. That did not bother her as she was accustomed to helping herself. After hanging her articles in the tree, she sashayed to the furthest seat. "I am ready." She arched her brows and gazed from one to the other. "What a lovely couple you make, it is no wonder the King is jealous."

Marguerite stiffened, but did not cry out or weep like an enfant.

"You should not jest about the King here, Ysabeau. There is a history you do not know." Her parents exchanged glances. She held her breath and scrutinized each expression. Andrién held one of concern, clear focus. Marguerite, fear, anxiety. Her throat flashed and Ysabeau frowned.

"May I share what I know? Perhaps it would lighten your burden of shame of revealing?" Marguerite's face darkened at the sound of Ysabeau's voice. "I know the King is devastatingly in love with Catherine de Médicis's former dame d'honneur. Yet, how scandalized he must be if he ever discovered that she never cared for him and that she was working as L'escadron Volant."

"Outrage!" Marguerite rose, her jaw hard, eyes fiery. Andrién lowered his head to his hands, rubbing his temples. "Andrién?" she barked.

"After having many affairs with the King and your newly acquired lover, the King decided to chase you away—by what I gather, because of jealousy?" Ysabeau felt smug in her knowledge. It was a joy to see their shocked expressions.

"How have you come to learn this?" Andrién said in a controlled voice.

"I have my ways."

"Ysabeau!" He scooted to the edge of the shared seat.

"How can I not when the King's attempt to seduce me failed? When the King to kill me failed?" She snapped her lips closed, about to disclose Philippe's name. No. She would not. Unsure if it was anger for his betrayal, or relishing how they believed she outwitted the two.

"He did those things?" Marguerite lowered beside Andrién, their hands locking.

Ysabeau swallowed, and slouched back. She was not sure whether she enjoyed seeing them together. It felt like a violation. Oui. That was it. A violation to Mathieu's memory and love for his own mère. "How can you both sit there and hold one another as if nothing was amiss? Why have you not brought her together with you while Mathieu lived?"

"Do not dare speak to me that way, Ysabeau. We have done everything within our power to protect you, love you, raise you."

She turned to Andrién, a hot slap in her face with his insult. "No, Andrién. You have done everything within your power to raise me, love me, protect me whilst she did everything she could to spite me, hurt me, destroy me." A sudden knot in her gut slammed into her throat. Tears flooded hot down her cheeks and she leaned forward. "Do not speak for her, she is a disgrace!"