I still have a choice...

New Constantinople
December 3, 2536 — 2148 Local Time

Michael studied the young woman staring at him as she cradled an older man in her arms. His timing had indeed been exceptional as his Pelican detected Phantom dropships close to the target area. To avoid detection, Michael had the Pelican drop him further out. He'd made a cautious approach, but when his audio sensors detected Covenant and human weapons firing, he picked up the pace. He arrived to find a unit of Special Operation Elites firing on a farmhouse.

The Elites didn't notice his presence as their attention and focus was on the farmhouse. From the way they'd positioned themselves for their attack made it easier for Michael to take them out, moving on each Elite and disposing of them with his knife. The unit leader proved to be the most troublesome when he realized there was a Spartan attacking them. It was the explosion and weapons fire that brought Michael to the back of the house, taking out the last Elite.

Michael was now dealing with two civilians. The younger woman looked to be in her late teens to early twenties with short auburn hair. He recognized the older man as his mission target... John Larson. He hadn't expected to locate his target this easy. There was the temptation to just grab his target and head back to the LZ. His mission would be over and he could get back to fighting the Covenant rather than being ONI's hatchet boy, but it wasn't that simple. Watching the pair, memories flashed along with his doubts surfacing. Again, the temptation to end his mission pulled on him, what he didn't expect were the words that escaped his mouth before he could act on the temptation.

"Is he going to be all right?"

The woman continued staring at him as if she didn't understand him. Michael was going to repeat the question when the man groaned and moved slowly, shaking his head.

"I'll be fine Andrea," John said, waving her away as he sat up. He paused as he focused on the huge armored man standing in the remnants of his living room, "Who the hell are you?" he asked.

Michael couldn't help but smirk at seeing how Larson was playing it cool as his target leaned over and spit out blood before standing up. This mission was going sideways on Michael as this wasn't going as he'd imagined it would. He found himself in unfamiliar territory unsure of how to play this situation.

"I'm from the UNSC," Michael said, deciding to take the straight-on approach. He noticed Larson's face tighten up at his response. Memories of Anders hanging from the tree flashed and his doubts came storming back.

They're human, Michael thought. He knew his duty and his orders, but despite his training and indoctrination he questioned everything. He tried to understand why his own species had the propensity to tear at itself when the Covenant was the greater threat. These people were just at risk from the Covenant as everyone else.

Michael realized the pair were staring at him. He glanced to the young woman... Andrea. She gave him a hopeful expression as she doted on Larson. He wasn't sure of the connection between the two, but it was obvious it was a strong one. Guilt weighed on him knowing whatever he decided would impact her. He gave his head a shake to refocus on the here-and-now, the past and the future were luxuries to deal with later.

"Is there anyone else around?" Michael asked.

"No... It's just my Grandpa and me," Andrea responded.

Michael filed away that information now he now understood the connection between the two.

"What about the rest of those Covenant bastards?" John asked. The anger in his voice was obvious.

"They're all neutralized. This area is secure for now," Michael replied.

John's face took on an astonished surprised look, "Y-You took out all those Covenant by yourself?" he asked, not quite believing what he'd heard.