Chapter ❷ - Keros (rewritten)

Author's Note: I gain a bit confidence while rewriting these chapters.

Recommendation: The Heat (movie) – quite hilarious

You do not need a key. There will be '(name), (colour)' and the like.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

9th December, 1023

He was reluctant to let the assistant come even close to him. She seemed mesmerised by the fact that he was a mongrel and had different coloured eyes. He was irked because of her squealing about him and her high-pitched voice made it all the more worse. He tried to evade her hands which in that moment seemed more like claws than hands. He would have preferred to be back in the cage by now, which said a lot about his current situation.

He was thankful for the other assistant, the mongrel believed her name to be Patty, as she stepped in and held back the cretin of an assistant. She did that by hoisting her up and holding her by her waist, as if the cretin was a child.

Patty carried the cretin out the room and tried to calm her down, before she walked off to somewhere. She came back with the girl from yesterday and afterwards left. She kneeled in front of the mutt, which still looked distraught.

"Hey there, mongrel." (name) said as she patted the mutt on the head. He did not move away, but he also did not fully trust the human. He just lay down and rested his head on the ebony wood floor. "I do not want to keep referring to you as mongrel or mutt, so I will give you a name, even if it is only temporary." She spoke to the mutt, as if he could understand her.

"You do not look like a Berry and my friend already has a dog named Berry. Fluke sounds too simple and Cronus is a bit too unfitting, as is Chronos." She reflected on her choices, unbeknownst to the thoughts of the mutt.

" She reflected on her choices, unbeknownst to the thoughts of the mutt

confusion and interest

"I have one; Keros. It is a Greek island and the name sounds good." She muttered in a calm voice.

*

He was a bit confused at the thought train of the girl. Berry to Fluke to Greek names? It did fit him adequately and it was a nice name.

He gave the wrist of the human a nudge, with the hope that she goes back to petting him, before he observed her for the first time. She had curly, (colour) hair which reached about mid-back, and (colour) eyes. She wore contact lenses, well, as far Smile could tell from the floor. She had (colour) skin, which had only minor imperfections. She was clothed in simple dark grey jeans and black snow boots, a white blouse with a black ribbon and a dark red jacket, which had white sleeves.

She had a winter coat, but it lay together with a knapsack in the corner.

*

Patty came in and strode over to the girl. "Hey, I could use your help with something. Derek said that it would be smart to give the mongrel a bath." Patty explained and waited for (name)'s answer. She nodded in response and snickered as Keros whimpered, as if he knew what would happen.

*

They were trying to hold Keros still just twenty minutes later. It seemed like it was not the water that bothered the dog, but the shampoo. Patty had eventually given up and just sat at the side, and just watched (name) handle the situation with a laugh. "Keros!" She yelled a bit frustrated as she held Keros when he tried to run and almost made it to the door. By then, (name) was covered with shampoo and soaked in water herself. Fortunately, she got some clothes from the clinic.

She lay on the floor with Keros captured in her arms. She carried him back to the tub and held him there until he calmed down and gave up running away. "You gave him a name?" Patty questioned as she watched (name) wash down the shampoo of Keros.

"Yea. It felt weird to just refer to him as mutt or mongrel. It may only be temporary, but it is still better than just a word." (name) replied, before she began drying the mutt. Patty laughed and threw (name) another towel.

She cleaned herself up, at least as much as she could, while Patty redid the bandage on Keros' forearm. "Do you believe in all that 'names give power or something' crap? Just curious." Patty inquired after she finished and removed all the dog hair from her pants and sweater. "Well, I am not sure. I think it might just be a little true." (name) argued as she patted Keros on the head.

*

"Yea, I will ask my parents. I would not miss that chance for all the... something. I am not sure what though." She answered Patty with a smile after she finished tying the assistant's hair into a braid.

He went to lay down in front of the window. He had watched enough chatter for one day. He had listened to their brisk chatters before and so found out the name of the puny girl. It fitted the girl, but no more than that.

*

She left the clinic an hour and a half later, because she had to work on a school project with someone. Keros was stuck with hiding from the cretin, and Patty was stuck with searching for Keros.

*

Sergiusz opened the door; unmotivated as ever. "Oh right. I forgot about the chemistry project. Oh well. Come on in, Tinmouse." Sergiusz uttered barely audibly, before he let (name) in. Sam's nickname for (name) seems to have taken over.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

This one is more likely to be labelled as a filler.

If you are:

What are you escaping by reading this? Chores, homework or sleep?

~Roxanne Rūsu (xReaderFactory)