12

A couple of days later.

Despite the various sweets Archie made me try this morning, him and I were now sitting in the chairs of a restaurant; Three Broomsticks.

He had been talking about so many things all day- mostly involving baking. Apparently there's a wrong way to frost a cupcake. And when people do it that way, it gets Archie pretty mad. I don't know why it matters so much to him; I mean, it all tastes the same.

When our food arrived Archie quieted down a bit, only talking every few moments to comment on the food- but nothing more. I didn't have a problem with the silence, though.

My food tasted amazing- the butter beer seriously made it better. Each time I took a bite I washed it down with the drink to add onto the flavor. I honestly think that wizard food is much better than muggle food. But I pity the fact that none of the pure bloods know what simple chips are.

"So uh... what is it with you and... Malfoy?" Archie asked somewhat timidly; he was trying his best to avoid my eyes. He quickly got the question out then continued to his food.

He had to have heard about the thing. I decide to play it cool, just in case he didn't... even though half the school did- or at least the people in the same year as me.

"There's nothing 'with' us." I claimed. "I hate him, he hates me." I shrug and take another drink of my butter beer.

"He's horrible to you Victoria... Why do you like him? Why'd you kiss him when he was drunk?" he mumbled.

"No matter what you heard about us, it's all fake. Well- the kiss wasn't but- Draco kissed me... and, he blamed it on me to save his reputation."

Archie raised an eyebrow. "Really?" He didn't look too convinced.

"Yes really!" I said somewhat harshly. "Why don't you believe me? I figured out of all people you would."

Archie sighed, "It's not that, it's- I just- I just can't believe he would do that... he doesn't seem like the type of person to kiss his enemy drunk."

"What? And I do?" I snapped.

"No, no. That's not what I meant... I don't know- I wouldn't even believe it if you hadn't told me that it was true. I just don't know what to think."

"Well, yeah. The runt kissed me. No matter what I tell other people they all think I did it to him." I took a drink, acting like I couldn't care less. "I really hate his guts, I really, really do. I'm not the type to like someone like that."

"Well, I guess I know the truth now..." He sighs. "I'm still looking out for ya, though." He smiles lightly at me.

"I don't need anyone looking out for me." I mumbled.

After we finished eating, the atmosphere was much lighter. Archie dropped the Draco conversation, and began to tell me stories about his family and life at home. His family were so happy to know about the wizard thing, and practically pushed him out the door to Hogwarts. He told me that every night he calls them and tells all about his day. It's amazing that his family believed the letter in an instant. My parents were extremely skeptical, they thought we were being pranked with a fake letter, or something. I on the other hand, desperately hoped that it was true. I could get out of that boring muggle life I had and would start to be happy- but I was wrong. It was amazing at first, but when people found out my blood wasn't "pure", my life went down hill. Still, its much better than a muggle life.

Archie is pretty cool. He's admirable, and he has this touch of innocence that I wish I had. But, I don't know if I'd ever admit that.

He makes me happy... I don't even remember the last time I smiled for real before I met him. He's a great friend.

After we settled down from our day, Archie and I didn't part ways. I asked him to stay, but not for the night, of course. I asked him to stay so I wouldn't be alone with my thoughts again. Because its nice being around him.

I starred at my ceiling and sighed. The light silence lingering above us as we lied on my bed. It wasn't an awkward silence. Actually, it was really relaxing.

"Tori..." Archie said, not opening his eyes to look at me.

"Mm." I answered briefly.

"What's so wrong with being a 'Mudblood'" He sounded sad.

"Don't use that word."

"Sorry I just- that's all people call us these days, I was just wondering...-"

"Nothing." I responded firmly. "There's nothing wrong with being a mudblood." I was surprised at the seriousness in my voice, but I wanted him to know.

I don't want him to be sad. I don't want him to suffer like I do...

"There's got to be something." He rose up. "Because everyone hates us."

"They hate us because we're different from them. It's not a bad thing... dude."

"Don't you wish you were pureblooded? Don't you wish you were just to get them off your back!?" He asked, I could hear the pain in his voice, and at that moment my heart skipped a beat.

I rose up too, and crossed my legs in front of me. I hate hearing him like this, he's normally so happy, I hate that there's an underlying pain underneath all the smiles.

"I don't. I'm happy with who I am... And- and you're perfect, kid. Don't let anyone tell you you're not." I didn't want to lie, but I'd do anything to bring his self-esteem up. He's a great kid, I hate that people corrupt him.

Archie smiled a bit, a small stain of blush lying on his cheeks.

"Y'know, Toria, you're really nice."

"Don't get used to it." I smiled, and ruffled his hair.