Our Family

I arrived back at our home to see the house’s inhabitants waking up. Fallen Dreamer came flying down the stairs after tripping somewhere near the top, bless her. Her black, white, red and blue outfit seemed to blur into one colour until she came to a stop at the bottom.

“Remind me why you insisted on an upstairs bedroom?” I crouched down to her level.

“I like heights.” She used as her excuse as she pulled herself to her feet. The smell of breakfast drifted to our noses and we instantly knew Horror Angel was awake. The only one with the ability to cook anything was Horror Angel so there was no other possibility.

“Go on.” I told Dreamer. “I’ll wake Revenge, One and Electric.”

“Thanks Black. Life saver.” She scrambled away towards the kitchen before I changed my mind. One Demolition slept downstairs. Across the hall from her was Electric Killer. Upstairs resided Romantic Revenge, Horror Angel and Fallen Dreamer. I was downstairs in the basement. I had specifically chosen to be there because of my nightmares. Vivid and memorable, I woke up screaming far too often. I headed upstairs first, letting the youngsters sleep longer. I climbed the stairs quietly and opened the first door on the right. I entered into Revenge’s room and was greeted by the usual black walls covered in posters and the piles of paper with the desert shots she always drew. I stepped carefully around everything and reached the double bed in the corner. She was sprawled over the full bed yet still fully covered with the blanket. Her black and red hair was messed up and she looked more vulnerable than normal. I shook her shoulder gently.

“Rev. Rev. Rev. Wake Up!” I shouted getting impatient.

“Whoa!” she sat up straight. “Jesus Black, ever tried being gentle?”

“I was to begin with. But it didn’t work. So I took drastic measures.” I smiled. “Come on. You’ll miss Angel’s cooking.” She scrambled out of her bed and I left her to dress. I slid down the banister and leapt off at the end. I head down to the end of the corridor and knocked on the left hand door. The Come in! from Electric proved that he was already awake. I poked my head round the door. “All good?”

“Yep.” Electric grinned. He was now lacing his converse. “Is breakfast ready?”

“As always. Try the kitchen, your sister should be in there.” I smiled as he leapt from his top bunk. I didn’t reprimand him as we had all done worse. I turned and held the door open as he raced past me. Shutting it, I crossed the corridor and knocked on Demo’s door. No reply came so I pushed it open. One lay in a tight ball with her eyes screwed shut. I could see she was fully dressed as her jeans poked out at the bottom. “Morning. Hurry up or you’ll miss breakfast.” I turn to leave knowing this will get her up. Polite rejection always works with her. She nudged my shoulder as she pushed past and ran to the kitchen. I readjusted my gun before joining them. Horror Angel had her customary black, green and purple gear on, Romantic Revenge was dressed in black and red, One Demolition was all red, yellow and blue, Fallen Dreamer the first hit of white, Electric Killer in his brown, grey, blue and yellow then me in black and orange. We shouldn’t work. But we always did. We were family.