The camera.

It was the one thing Alden had taken with him aside from necessities. He was not really a good photographer, but he had enjoyed taking pictures of anything under the sun.

Most especially Maine. She was his favorite subject.

"Hello." He grinned at her and Matthew as he entered the place. "Merry Christmas. Can I leave these here? Para mamaya." She nodded, reaching out for the paper bag and placing it on the couch.

"Merry Christmas, Pa!" Matthew was excited as ever. He pulled both of his parents on each hand outside, squeezing them together on the doorway as they got out. "Tara na tara na tara na."

==============================

It had been an exhausting day. It was fun, but Maine didn't just want to admit it. Alden had brought them to several places in less than half a day. They went even as far as Times Square. Alden was just disappointed that they won't be there for the ball dropping ceremony on new year. The whole time, Alden had snapped photos of her and Matthew, whether it was candid or not. He refused to join the picture, urging the two to pose for the camera in front of important landmarks or places. He treated them all kinds of food New Yorkers usually have, enjoying eating along streets. He took them to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and even urged them to visit the nearby shore, just to have a glimpse at Liberty City and the famous Statue of Liberty. Maine couldn't believe it can all be done in a day. When she was in New York with her friends, they usually spent their time just in the usual places to hang out. She didn't realize a lot more things could be done in a day.

To end the day, Alden had taken them to watch a Christmas musical, something Matthew was interested in. They had anticipated to see Lea Salonga, but the understudy was there to perform. Still, it was a good show.

The musical ended with Matthew already wanting to end the day and eat. It was, after all, tiring. They didn't rent a car, so they pretty much walked half of the time or took the train. The sky was already dark, not a star to be seen. Instead of the little dots lighting up the sky, the city was the one to light itself, streets still full of opened shops and buildings towering over them, bright LED screens showing advertisements and the like. The city was wide awake with noise, people rushing everywhere despite the occasion. They stood outside the theater, facing one another.

"Anong food gusto mo, Matthew?" Maine asked as they waited for a cab. She watched Alden, who was busily taking pictures of the theater while waiting.

"Uwi nalang tayo, Ma. Then let's order pizza with dad."

"Pizza? Pasko, pi-" Maine almost complained, but stopping as she heard herself. She wanted to scream out, frustrated at how deja vu can slap her endlessly on the face, repeatedly, when Alden was with her. She pursed her lips, observing Alden on the corner of her eyes. He had stopped for awhile, clearly having the same reaction as hers. Matthew looked at her, baffled at his parents'sudden silence.

"Bakit ma? Masarap naman po ang pizza dito sa New York ah."

She shook her head. "Nothing. Alden, can you order? I'm not familiar with the pizza places here."

"Sure, sure. I'll be the one to call later." Alden smiled awkwardly, turning his camera off as a cab stopped in front of them.

"Yay, thank you Ma! Dahil diyan, kayo na po ang pumili ng flavor."

"No." She shook her head, trying to calm herself as deja vu slapped her another time as they entered the cab. "Si Alden na lang."

==============================

"Gusto ko pa nga kumain eh. Love naman." Maine complained, as Alden pulled her outside their car, bringing her inside their rest house. Alden had asked permission from the Mendozas if they could leave early from the dinner. Maine thought her family was their last stop for Christmas day, after visiting the Faulkersons and Alden's mom in the cemetery. But no, he had pulled her towards their car as soon as they bid goodbye to the family, him driving them to their own secluded resthouse.