Chapter 27: It's Not Safe

Start from the beginning

I blushed and said, "I'm an awful dancer." He knew that as well as I that I had two left feet.

"Please," he begged.

I smiled, I couldn't say no to him. I took his hand and said, "Ok. I'll dance."

He smiled widely and led me to the heart of the dance floor. He pulled me close enough that I felt his body heat. He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me even closer. 

About a minute into the song and Auggie said, "You're not bad at this dancing thing."

I laughed. "It's because you're helping me."

"Like always, you give yourself less credit then you actually have. Don't sell yourself sort."

I nodded as I rested my head on his shoulder. I could stay like this forever. The sway of his feet was calming, the music relaxing. For a moment, I forgot we were on a mission. Suddenly my eyes caught hold of a blond woman in need of another dye job dancing with an older man to the left of us. She fit the photo of Tori the woman in my file. "Do you see that?" my voice turned into a whisper to Auggie.

Auggie followed my gaze and frowned lightly, knowing that our moment was over. "Do you think?"

"I do. Let's get closer," I said still dancing with Auggie.

"Ok," he said as he changed positions for dancing, putting on hand of my hip holding my other hand gently as we moved gracefully closer to her.

"Mara, we found her," I said into my watch but then quickly bushed my hair behind my ear to make it look like I was just fixing my hair.

"I'll be there." I heard her say though my ear wick.

Auggie pulled out a bug from his pocket. He had to get close enough to place it on her. He dropped his hands from me and moved over to her. He tapped her on the shoulder and asked if he could dance with her.

I walked off the dance floor and found Mara. We watched as the two of them laughed and talked until the song was over. She was flirtatious with Auggie and it made me slightly jealous.

The song ended but I watched Tori pull Auggie farther away from us. He looked at me apologetically but followed her out of the room. He had a job to do, I knew that, but it was still hard to watch him walk away with another lady.  

"Looks like you lost your date," Mara spoke up. I looked at her with a frown as I saw a drink in her hand.

"Looks like I did." 

Mara took a drink of what ever was in her glass and said, "you need a drink. You've been a little too tight recently." Before I could protest, she went off and within second's came back with a cup in her hand for me. She handed it to me and said, "Come on, the mission's practically over. Auggie's doing all the heavy lifting."

I nodded. She was right. I did need to relax a little. I took the glass and took a drink of the champagne. Mara and I sat back and people watched as we listened to Auggie's conversation with Tori. Every laugh he gave was painful to hear, I knew this was a cover but it felt so real as I listened. Finally, I couldn't take it any more and I took out my ear piece.

Mara looked at me with a frown. "I'll tell you when he's done," Mara said as she took another drink.

I nodded at her. "Thanks," I said to her as I stuffed my earpiece into my pocket. I needed some fresh air. "I'm going to see what else they have here. I'll talk to you later." I waved good-bye then left for another room.

I went to one of the sitting rooms and looked around, it was huge but cozy with velvet seats and a roaring fire. My eyes stumbled upon a large table with tons of finger foods in the corner of the room. I smiled, I was starving. I started to walk to the table when I felt someone tap my shoulder. I stopped and looked to see Zach.