Chapter 6

"You.... you killed her?"

Hunter nodded, turning away from me. He wasn't able to look 

at my face anymore. I think the emotion was too much for him.

"I didn't mean to, I swear. I just..."

He sighed. "It's okay, Hunter. Take your time... this is hard for you, just like it's hard for me to talk about my brother."

Hunter nodded slowly, swallowing.

"My sister wasn't a vampire, you know. She was an elf. My 

dad was, too. My mom was actually a human. But that's 

another story, anyways. I got turned by this one vampire girl... it's a memory I'd rather not talk about. But I had been reluctant to go hunting... I didn't know anything about how to be a 

vampire, and my sire had just left me after she turned me, so it 

was difficult. This one night... Lily came into my room to talk 

to me, much like you did today. Over the few days before that, I 

had kept away from my family because... I felt this need to... 

feed from them, if you know what I mean. I didn't know how... I

didn't now what to do, and worst of all, I didn't know how much 

blood I needed. My biggest fear was that I needed it all. And I wasn't 

about to go kill someone! Especially my family members! But when Lily 

came in that night... it was too much. I killed her. The look in her 

eyes when I-... it's a memory that'll never stop haunting me. Lily 

didn't even try and defend herself... she didn't even scream. She 

cried only one tear... and then she just let it happen. She loved 

your brother so much, too, Katrina... I felt so horrible. And she had

said she had something vitally important to talk to me about, she 

came into my room all worried and... now I'll never know what it 

was. What was so important that she broke my lock on my door 

to get to me. I'll never know..."

I stared at Hunter, the story slowly sinking into my mind.

During his story, Hunter had stood up. I stood now, too. He turned to look at me, waiting for my reaction. 

I was realizing everything he said agonizingly slow.

Once it sunk it, I finally spoke.

"You killed my brother. You... you killed him..."

Hunter didn't say anything. He didn't point out that it was indirectly. He didn't point out that he had never met the kid. He didn't say that he didn't know David was going to kill himself. He didn't even say anything.

Which just made me angrier.

"You killed my brother!" I yelled, pummeling his chest of my fists.

"My brother!" I

yelled again, whacking him harder. 

"Do you even know how this feels!? You killed the only person who ever understood me! You killed David... my brother!" For some reason, I just had to keep reapeating the fact that David was my brother. 

I started punching hunter so hard that my fists were numb, but I just kept pounding on his chest. Tears were flooding out of my eyes now, and I couldn't see anything except the blurry figure infront of me. Hunter wasn't responding, either, which made me hit him as hard as I possibly could. 

Finally, he responded.

But not in the way I thought he would.

Hunter pressed me against him, giving me a hug that I swear crushed my ribs. He loosened it, but still didn't let go of me.

"Katrina, listen to me. I know how hard this is for you; my sister is dead, too, remember. I know it isn't the same situation, because your brother and you had a different relationship than Lily and I. And I know you want to blame his death on me, because it's easier to deal with the pain and the anger when you have someone to blame. And I'm sorry, but you can't blame his death on me. I know this is tough, Katrina - I really do. Now, I'm going to let go of you, but only if you promise you aren't going to hit me."

I took a deep breath. "I won't hit you." 

"Alright then."

Hunter let go of me, and for a second I wished he wouldn't, that his arms were still around my waist.

Katrina, focus! This is Hunter we're talking about. You know, the guy who isn't your fiance?

I wiped the tears from my eyes and actually started laughing.

Of course, Hunter looked at me as if I was insane.

I stopped abruptly after seeing his face. "No - no - I'm not crazy." I huffed, taking rapid breathes.

"It's just... when I first got here I... (DEEP BREATH!)... was running away from you and... now I'm... in your room crying to you... it's just... funny." I finished, my breath finally steadying.

Hunter cocked an eyebrow at me. "...riiiiighhht. Now - I know this sounds rude - but would you mind getting out of my room now? We don't need Luke looking for you and finding you here. I doubt that'd go over well."

~>

"Yeah, yeah..." I replied laughing. 

When my fingers touched the doorknob, I heard Hunter speak.

"Hey - Katrina? If you ever need to talk again... I'm here."