Chapter 2

Tori had left my old home after mom had locked herself away. Dad said she hadn't seen her since. 

And neither had anyone else he asked.

I then told dad I was going to talk to mom, and heard dad mutter "Don't you mean mom's door?"

"Yes dad, mom's door. Because mom herself can't respond to questions. See, this is why she's still up there.I'm not surprised now. You never did understand it when me, Tori or mom got emotional. Maybe it's because you can't feel emotion yourself." I spat angrily and after feeling somewhat satisfied at the horrified, angry and hurt expression on dad's face, I stormed upstairs.

I gently knocked on my mom's door.

"I've told you a million times before, Jeffery, I. Am. Not. Coming. Out. Just go away..." I heard her mumble, "Go away like you always do..." 

"Mum?...It's Trina. Open up, let me in. I want to see you."

I heard a gasp of utter shock escape my mother and I instantly heard the lock click out of place.

Come in, the door's unlocked.

I grinned as James' voice sounded in my head. 

Always is.

"Trina!" My mom exclaimed as soon as I came into the room. She hugged me in one of those bone-shatteringgrandma hugs and I told her I needed to breath. She laughed and closed the door.

I suddenly saw the effect this isolation had on my mother.

She was much skinnier than she used to be. Her skin was pale, her lips cracked and her eyes horrifivly bloodshot. Her face was more wrinkled than before, and her entire air of a highly respected woman had faded to that of a pitiful soul. I gasped.

"Mom...you look...horrible!"

All mom did was laugh bitterly. "That's a good way to greet your mother, hmm?" I shrugged. 

"Not my fault you let yourself go."

~Oops. Did I just say that outloud?~

My mother stared at me.

~Shoot.~

"Mom...I didn't mean..."

"No, no. You're right, dear. I have let myself go. I just can't deal with your father, honey... ever since you and Tori left, he's become so cold. He never really had a sense of humour but he's just so... well, heartlessnow. It makes me so angry..." My mother lifted her wrists here and I nearly yelled at her until I realised that there were no scars on her arm. "But I didn't go as far as those...emu kids. I still don't understand that term..." She muttered. 

Okay, when my mom does something like this, I have to laugh like a maniac. Excuse me.

I fell over, hands on my stomach, onto the bed laughing. My mom looked at me curiously. "What!?" She asked. Her cluelessness just made me laugh harder. "Its.." I gasped, then stopped laughing. My sides hurt. "It's..." I said, taking a deep breath. "Mom, it's emo kids. As in emotional." My mom made that 'o' shape with her mouth and then she laughed too. For once, everything was like it used to be.

Until my father came up the stairs. My mom heard the footsteps and said, "Oh no! That, that's your father... honey he'll be really upset if he knows I let you in here, uhm... act like you're talking to me!" She said as she shoved me out the door and locked it. "Ermmm.... so, yeah. Bye mum. It was great talking to you. Really great." I paused as I heard my father pause at the top of the stairs. I raised my voice to make it obvious I was trying to make them both hear what I had to say.

"I hope you two can learn to put aside your pride and talk to each other instead of acting like this some day. Not only for me and Tori, but for you guys' sake, too." I paused again, knowing this next sentence would get them straight in the heart.

"And for David's sake, too. I'm sure he wouldn't want you two to be fighting." 

With that I strode past my dad, despite his "Katrina..." as he reached his hand to me and my mom's "Honey, wait!". I heard her try and unlock the door, but I didn't stop. "And you can forget ever seeing me again until you both sort through this!" I yelled up the stairs.

Someone once told me that sometimes you've gotta be cruel to be kind.

I just wish that someone was still alive.

~>

God I miss David.