Chapter 3: The Forest

Kally ran through the streets. she just couldn't't make sense of what just happened with her father. he was always happy and funny. but this side of him was one that Kally had never see before. She ran past Hamlies house, the ancient rusty mill, and the old street sign. Kally was so consumed with trying not to think, that she ran right past the napping city guards and into the forest. Kally got A half mile out before she realized that she wasn't in the city anymore Kally looked around her for some signs of the City gate but she couldn't see nothing but a sea of green. Kally gulped hard and tried to figure out which direction she came from "Hello"? she yelled "is anyone out here"? she went over to a tree and leaned on it Kally had only ever been out of the city gates a few times and that was when she was younger on school field trips. but they had gone on a trail and only five minutes or so away from town. Kally glanced at the ground and saw some dirt that looked like it had been walked on recently. so she wandered down that path sure of herself the city was a few minutes away. The hot afternoon sun beat down on her face Kally was hungry and hot. "Hello?" she called, thinking that the guards should have heard her by now. Kally walked for what seemed like hours, but the sun shone on and got hotter every hour. She finally stopped walking and looked behind her it looked the exact same as every other direction Kally groaned and layed down on a nearby log to rest her eyes for a few minutes.

                                                     ..........................................................

Kally awoke to darkness. She sat up and rubbed her eyes "why is it so dark..." she whispered to herself Kally waved her hand in front of her face and saw nothing, the moon light was so faint that it barley lit up the leaves above. Kally stood up and stretched out her sore limbs, how long had she slept? she looked around and tried to get her barrings but all she saw was hundreds of black shadows. "Hello?!" she yelled "Hello?" Kally began walking in what seemed like the opposite direction she came from. the silence was almost peaceful nothing but the sound of crickets and wind through the trees. Kally walked a little further before she heard the snap of twigs behind her. she turned to look behind her and saw a shadow swoop out from behind a tree Kally screamed at the top of her lungs and ran, stumbling over fallen branches. Leaves and twigs where tearing at her clothing and slapping her bare skin as she ran. she saw her opportunity up ahead a large tree trunk. she slipped behind it and tried to hold her wheezing breath. The crack of twigs was getting closer. Kally looked around her trying to find some sort of weapon. a log, a stick, even a large thorn would work but there was nothing but dirt and leaves Kally was still scanning the ground when the cracking stopped "Stop running!" a raspy voice said behind Kally. she screamed and jolted forward but Kally tripped over a large protruding stick and fell to the ground. She felt a a numbness go over her body. "Help me" Kally mumbled before the darkness took over.