Chapter 2: The begining

Alexis and Kally got to their small house faster then Alexis would have liked. She always dreaded family meetings. Her parents always used them as an excuse to bring in some new rule, or a new chore routine. frankly all of the change all the time gave Alexis a headache.

"mom, dad" Alexis called. As she took in the tense atmosphere of the room, she shuddered. her dad was sitting at the table, head leaning on his hand and her mother was leaning against the wardrobe eyes closed.

"Alexis,sweetheart come sit down." her dad said gesturing lazily to the chair. Alexis walked over to her chair and sat down.

"Kally come take a walk with mommy." Their mother said, arms open.

"where are we walking?" she asked

"oh just around." her mother replied. once they had closed the door behind them Alexis's father relaxed a little.

"what's going on dad?" Alexis asked nervously

"We'rere talking, hanging out" he smiled awkwardly

"dad, I'm not five anymore, tell me what's going on." 

"Well, I'm sure you know about Chances." Her father siged. "and I'm sure you have realized that there have been some similarities between the recent deaths"

"yeah. but you said they were just coincidence's."

"oh come on Alexis, I know your smart enough to realize that I lied." her father stared straight into her eyes. Alexis's father never lied. not even little white lies. She just stayed quiet. She did notice them. She knew that they were not coincidence's.

"Alexis.-" he reached under the table and pulled out a stack of papers. Alexis noticed the inportant, thick notery of the mayor

"dad, where'd you get those papers?"

"sweet heart, your mother and I have a lot of secrets. a lot more complex then you would think. but your're old enough now, that I feel you should know." he paused and glanced at the first paper

"Shirla Marrow" her father read monotone.  Alexis gasped. Shirla Marrow was her best friend in grade school, she died when they were seven.

"seven years old, female, found in the morning. Died several hours after severe head laceration." Alexis grimaced, she never knew that.

"Pertus Shing, ten years old, male, found in the evening. died several hours aftter severe neck laceration" Kally was starting to hyperventilate

"Kath Kilmer, twelve years old, female,Found in the middle of the night. died several hours after severe back laceration"

"dad, why are you telling me this!"

"Mero Nuop, thirteen years old, male, found in the late afternoon. died several hours after severe abdominal laceration"

"Dad!" Alexis screamed. She didn't want to know this. she didn't ask for any of this!

"Chances Bearer, fifteen years old, male, found int the morning. died several hours after severe chest laceration"

"Dad!!" Alexis was sobbing now "please dad" her father looked at her and sighed

"what did thees death's have in common?" he asked

"wha-?" Alexis was still sobbing

"Alexis, pay attention. what do thees deaths have in common. think"

"the wounds. there all severe." she said between sobs

"yeah, yeah, what else? come on Alexis"

"Uhm" Alexis racked her brain. "They're all lacerations. they're all jagged" she said in between heavy breaths.

"yes, but god damnit alexis! I know your smarter then this! WHAT ELSE?" Her father slammed his fists on the table. Alexis cringed away from her fathers rage. She had stopped crying now, her mind elsewhere. Trying to come up with some answers that would make sense. 

"wait..." her eyes widened. "... why did they die a few hours after? if they were so severe... shoudn't they have died right away?" she asked

"Alexis" her dad sighed "I can't release that information." Alexis stared up at her dad

"you what? you told me that it was time you explained your secrets, and now that you've told me hints you won't tell me the rest?"

"that's exactly why I can't tell you... You are not supposed to know this. I am not suppose to tell you anything. Curiosity is as dangerous, Alexis. But answers are worse."

"what is that suposed to meen!" she shrieked

"Alexis you will figure it out. I promise. One day, you will have figured out a way to put an end to this... but until then, be cautious of everyone and everything."

"but dad." Alexis groaned

"enough." He stood up and walked over to his night stand, slipping the papers swiftly inside the drawer he nodded at alexis to leave. She got up in a huff and stormed out of the house.