Day Twenty Three

Newt's POV

I wake up in the middle of early morning, around 1:03 ish, to one of the worst sounds. Thomas screaming in pain, I quickly turn to his thrashing body, his forehead covered in a layer of sweat. His face carved in pain and sadness, I quickly shake him awake and he screams while falling into my arms, still thrashing.

"Tommy, it's okay." I try to comfort him and he carries on thrashing before he clings onto my arm sobbing his eyes out, he's trembling like he's just seen a ghost, I feel so bad seeing him so pained. I hold him tightly,

"SShh, it's okay, you're safe." I whisper over and over again, I keep one arm around his collarbone area and then the other around his waist. He calms down until he's just quietly sobbing, I kiss the top of his head, not caring that it's slightly damp from sweat. He buries his head in my chest and I softly play with his hair, my heart is shattering from seeing him so broken.

His sobs turn into just his uneven, shaking breaths, he's still trembling like hell,

"Tommy it's okay." I whisper quietly and sigh to myself, his grip has loosened on me so it's not like he's clinging onto me for dear life.

"N-newt h-he..." Thomas starts, his voice shaking, I play with his hair,

"What is it Tommy?" I whisper and he looks up at me, his face troubled and his eyes tire, wary and the most showing emotion is petrified.

"I-I couldn't.........I-i.......I-I w-was paralysed......I." He stutters shaking his head and playing with his fingers, he's freezing but also boiling hot, his hands are like ice but his head is boiling, he's also covered with a layer of cold sweat.

"Tommy it's okay, you don't have to explain." I try to comfort him by saying it softly, I smile slightly at him and he nods, I feel so guilty now, he's always covered it up, I was damaged kinda, I was healing up. He came along and sounded like a confident guy, he was always here for me, he always seemed so strong, so happy, so tough. He also acted like he wasn't damaged, like he wasn't in any danger, he fooled everyone around him, he fooled me. I shake my head and he gets up, he walks to the closet and grabs a towel, then I get up and smile at him. I rub my eyes and then he climbs back into bed a few minutes later, I lie down next to him and take his hand in mine. He looks at me and bites his lip - which in these circumstances me thinking it's incredibly attractive is probably very bad but damn Tommy. He plays with my fingers and seems so focused on them.

Soon enough he's sleeping, still got both of his hands clasping my one, I smile and gently move the hair out of his face, I gently trace his features before falling asleep myself.

In the proper morning I wake up to th smell of burning, I quickly scramble up, throwing on some trackies and run to the kitchen, he has a plate of nice sausages and - best way to describe it - 'crispy' bacon. There's also kinda burnt toast, I laugh and he smiles at me, although even under the smile I notice it now. How he's actually so broken. I was probably too blinded by how happy and confident he acted around me, I can see it in his eyes, the distant, vague look.

I go over to him and smile, I get the burnt toast and with a normal knife I go to the sink and scrape the burnt bits off, leaving the toast golden brown - perfect. I put them back on the plate and sigh quietly to myself,

"I just wanna say I'm sorry for earlier." Thomas says and I look up at him, he looks so guilty,

"Tommy, it's fine, I know what it's like to get nightmares." I answer and smile slightly, he nods and smiles,

"So whatcha planning to do today?" He asks and I shrug,

"I've got work till 10 again. But after I'm free." I answer smiling and he grins and comes over to me, damn he's shirtless,