Chapter I

Chapter I

He sits beside me on my teal-coloured bedspread, curling a lock of my hair around his fingers. I sit facing forward, my legs together, arms stiffly by my sides clutching the duvet, my eyes downcast.

He whispers of all the hopes and dreams he has of what we are to become, of the problems and challenges we face, that he wants me, loves me, needs me. Liar, liar, liar, I chant over and over in my head.

My grip tightens around the handfuls of duvet clutched in my fists and I squeeze my eyes shut, trying to block out his sugar-coated lies weaving their way around my body, my head, my mind; paralyzing me into place like a rope. After all, it is easier to catch flies with honey than vinegar.

Finally, I gather enough courage to glance up at him. His features are warm inviting, deep blue eyes filled with love that stare through my skin and into the corners of my soul.

His lips curl up into a smile and his blonde locks fall carelessly into his face. A perfectly angled nose, high cheekbones, and toned body - he is every girl's dream.

He is my nightmare.

His lips turn into a scowl, his brow furrowing. The love in his eyes turn to anger, hatred - the pupils dilate, filling in the innocent baby blue with inky black.

He twists and changes before my eyes, body morphing into a larger, more sinister shape towering over me like an elephant to a mouse, hands turn to snatching claws, teeth become long and pointed, a slimy forked tongue pokes through his teeth like a snake tasting the air.

His eyeballs melt away in trickles of scarlet blood down his hollow pale cheeks, leaving great gaping holes in their midst. I feel myself being sucked into their black depths, consumed by fear and shadows ...

I sat up and screamed into the night, my screams turning into sobs when I realised that I was awake.

I muffled my cries into my pillow, my whole body shuddering silently, and waited for the tears to stop running down my face. I glanced at the digital clock next to my bed, the numbers glowing a dim red in the dark of my bedroom.

3:26 AM

Shit. Tomorrow was a school day. I'd never get back to sleep now.

I sighed and turned onto my side, staring at the closed drapes across my window that were slowly becoming more and more visible as my eyes adjusted to the dark.

Another nightmare - that was the third one this week - and it was only Thursday. I dried my eyes on the bed sheets and turned so that I was lying on my back, facing the peeling glow-in-the-dark star stickers I had stuck there when I had believed if I were only to reach out my fingers, I would be able to touch the night sky. When I had had dreams about the future and what I was going to become.

When I tittered with my friends about silly things like boys and homework and clothes.

But that was before.

All I see now in my future is endless, empty black.

oOo

Comment. Or kitties will die :)