Keep on Falling Chapter 3

The next morning, I laced up my shoes for a run. Kaine must have left earlier, because he wasn't here when I woke up. I started on the normal route, to a pretty grove of trees and back. My mind went back to what my dad told me. How am I supposed to do anything though? My breathing picked up as I went up a hill. What does he want me to do? I didn't even dream last night. I guess I could try to make a trip to the Library's restricted section. We're not supposed to, but everyone knows about it. I could maybe find something there that would- "Woah there!" I never got to finish the thought seeing as I just smacked into Kaine. We both toppled to the ground, with me landing on top of his chest. Kaine had  wrapped an arm around my waist and I got caught in his eyes. They're a lighter blue this time, and he looks almost panicked. His heartbeat matches my own racing one. "I keep falling," I whisper.
"And I keep catching," Kaine said, with almost a rough catch in his voice. Something caught at my memory. A wave of fog lifted and I remembered. I've heard this line before, with a gentle tune to accompany. My mother and my father, softly singing it to one another.
"And I'll always let you," I finished the verse. Kaine had a faraway look in his eyes as he played with my fingers, which he had grasped when I said the first line. I closed my eyes briefly. Kat, get a hold of yourself. You're not supposed to fall in love, remember? Resist. A clear image of my mother now entered my mind, soft as a whisper. She had blonde, wavy hair, hazel eyes, and a perfect figure. She always smiled at me, and her eyes would crinkle at the corners when she did. My breath caught as I was transferred back to reality. I was on Kaine's bare chest, and crying. He was calling my name, and looked concerned. Why would he look concerned? Oh, right. I'm crying. I dried my tears and got up. "Thanks for catching me." I ran off, already crying again, this time for Kaine.