London's Fog Makes Everything Look Grey

Start from the beginning

“We really have nothing better to do, so why not?”

I smiled at Fred’s optimistic outlook.

“Alright, alright. Let’s gather our things and get going.”

Fred suddenly ran over to my chair and picked me up bridal style. I immediately blushed from contact, and then mentally cursed myself and my blushes.

He then lowered his face close to mine, so close that I could smell his minty breath, and then whispered, “Love, I love making you blush.”

My face reddened even more, and as I tried concentrating on cooling my face, Fred abruptly dropped me onto the cold, hard floor. At my face he began laughing hysterically.

“You- You’re face, it’s just-“He tried to say in between laughs, “You look so confused!” He just kept laughing at me, tears rolling down his fair skin. Huffing, I rubbed my sore bum, and stood up. I stomped out of the tent, and plopped onto a nearby log, waiting for Fred to magically shrink the tent and place it inside my backpack.

As I sat on the log, I thought back to the last week. Fred and I had shared some intimate moments, and some not-so intimate moments. Like when he charmed my hair pink. Pink! Of all colors! I chased him around our tent, yelling profanities at him. Or when we cuddled in the loveseat and I admitted how lonely I had been all alone on that island. Or when I wrote a Howler to him, pretending to be his mother and yelling at him for a punching telescope hitting her in the eye. That was really funny. Or how about when I heard him whisper my name in his sleep?

“-elle! Isabelle!” Fred had been shouting. I was pulled out from memory lane, and back into the real world. I walked over to where he was standing with my knapsack in hand.

“Merlin, I was calling your name for hours!” Fred complained. I shook my head at his exaggeration. Fred held out his arm, and I firmly grabbed it. Then we were off, through the rubber tube. We landed in front of a drab looking building with iron bars wrapping around the perimeter.

“I would’ve turned out like Voldy too, growing up here.” Fred muttered. I laughed silently to myself, and followed him into the gray building.

An elderly woman was scolding a pair of young twins when we walked through the doors.

“How many times have I told you to stop teasing Gertrude? She doesn’t appreciate you boys pulling her pigtails and hiding under her bed! The poor child is scared to sleep in her own bed.” The old woman sternly said in her raspy voice.

She was taller than me but as skinny as a rail. She had thin grey hair that was up in a tight bun- However, there were strands sticking out from the bun, making her look extremely tired and frankly fed up with these two boys.

The twin boys mentioned both had dark brown hair with curious green eyes. Their faces were a little dirty, but held a very familiar smirk on it. They looked about ten or so years old. Humorously, they both wore overalls- one had the left side unbuttoned, the other the right.