Chapter 4

A few days before Christmas a parcel arrived for me at work, with no return address or anything. It wasn't unusual to have post sent there, not home so no one questioned it.

I took it home and opened it. Inside was a very carefully wrapped present with a tag. "Happy Christmas Love LG x"

I hadn't gotten him anything, I didn't know where he was in the world at the moment, never mind his address and what could I have bought him?

I ripped open the paper to reveal a white lidded box. Under the box lid was a note, the paper obscuring whatever was underneath.

"Wear these for the Brit Awards. 20.2.95 You'll look fucking stunning. Can't wait to see you again x"

I put the note to one side to find a layer of pink tissue paper. Underneath that was an expensive looking black, lacy lingerie set. A bra and knickers.

I tried them on, creeped out by the fact that he'd got the sizes perfectly right. I did look pretty hot, my tattoos were on display and I felt great.

Another thing hidden in my wardrobe.

Christmas with our family was the same as every other year, ever. New Year was the same as every other year since I'd married Enzo, we went out drinking, watched the countdown and we were into another year, 1995.

I wondered how Liam had spent his Christmas holidays, probably surrounded by celebrities, living for the moment.

...

On Valentine's Day I was sent a box of chocolates (a big rectangle box, not a heart), this present came with a note that wasn't Liam's handwriting. "On behalf of LG as he's currently on tour, "Flowers, fucking loads of roses and chocolate hearts would have given the game away" Creation Records management."

Again I had nothing to send him.

Enzo took me to dinner, an Italian place we always went to for Valentine's.

I'd got him a card, a new tie and cufflinks. He gave me a card and red roses and surprised me with a trip to Venice.

All I could think was I hope it isn't for when Liam's in London.

...

February 20, 1995 was the date of the Brit Awards, Oasis were back in London and nominated for four awards. It provided them a quick pause in their American tour and me the chance to see Liam again.

This time I was "having a girls night at Danielle's".

Liam wanted me to actually go to the Brit Awards with him (as he'd said in his note) but that was a big no, no. Instead I was going to their afterparty.

I went to Noel's just as nervous as the first time. I found somewhere discreet to park my Vespa and went to the door carrying my helmet and a change of clothes. I tried to fix my helmet hair as I waited.

"Didn't think you'd turn up." Bonehead said as soon as he opened the door.

"Didn't think you'd know who I am." I responded.

"Course I do." he smiled. "You're the bird Our Liam's mad for."

He let me in. "What d'you ride?"

"A dark blue Vespa 125 Primavera." I boasted before realising Noel probably wouldn't appreciate me parking on his drive. "Sorry Noel doesn't mind me parking out front, does he?"

"A vespa girl, nice. Bet you've got the ET3." he nodded. "Don't worry about him."

"Yeah, better engine..." I stopped myself from rambling on about the scooter. "He doesn't like me, alright?"