Chapter 3 : The Neighbours

Start from the beginning

"But didn't you say there was a war and he was posted somewhere dangerous and there was a possibility that he might not come back?"

"Yeah and your point is?"

"If he was killed he would be leaving a widow behind."

"Yeah, and someone to blame - an ideal scapegoat in the making." Meeru put her hands up to the ceiling, "This devil of a girl brought bad luck on her husband. She cast an evil spell on him... and stuff like that. But they would console themselves because they had a grandson. Don't ask how I know. Our family is pretty fertile and well known for it. Days before your Papa's posting, a temporary structure draped with marigold flowers was strutted and literally the first available girl of age was tied to him as he took seven rounds of the fire. A splattering of sickly ROMANCE during his leave periods and a year later, Wham Bam Thank You Mam! You and your twin Gag were born!

Holding both palms upwards, wearing an exaggerated face of anguish, Meeru woefully uttered, "I was made an aunt at 6! Not once but twice over! Oh Gross! Double Gross"

"Ha, ha...very droll." Avi laughed, "You had it easy I tell you."

"And how do you work that out?"

"Quite easily. If we were born girls what do you think would have happened then? Ma and Papa would have kept trying for a boy and ten children later they still might not have succeeded. Count your lucky stars you were spared the extra sugary sweet romancing for trying for a second child or a third, fourth, fifth..." 

Colour drained from Meeru's face.

"It just wouldn't happen in this family." Meeru spoke softly.

Avi looked bewildered at the change of tempo in his aunt's usual feisty stance.

"Meeru you were born a girl, and whilst most might doubt it in this house as you are just as feisty and mean as the rest of us; you're definitely a girl according to all the guys at St Anthony's college. Have you forgotten?"

She smirked and brightened up looking more like her usual self, allowing him to continue his ribbing, "Poor guys regretted not knowing about the six brothers who were born before you.  J alleges that one of the guys is still learning how to walk again."

"Yeah and whose fault is that?" Meeru asked accusingly.

"Mine?" Avi quizzed meekly. It had been Avi's fault and he knew it. In all innocence he had asked his twin uncles and the youngest one what eye candy was? When they asked Avi why he wanted to know, he let slip that his best friend J, who happened to be visiting that day, said his brother and his brother's classmates thought Meeru was the most desirable eye candy.  Uh Oh! What an idiot! Moments later he and J were whisked over to St Anthony's College by five of his uncles.  Two of his uncles had just pulled into the drive in an army jeep from their army base all pumped up with testosterone when the others were on their way out to the college. Under duress and much heavy handling, J had nervously pointed to his brother and his entourage who were practising in the outdoor basketball grounds and then...  WHAM! Avi's uncles wrestled the players to the ground and left a cloud of dust with mangled bodies amidst it.  They looked askance at J, Avi had to save his friend but at the same time he couldn't be seen to do nothing. With some compunction he grabbed hold of J, winked at him and then punched him in the stomach. J had many layers of fat and in comparisons his aggressor was lean; however knowing the drill, J keeled over and seemingly rolled about in pure agony on the ground keeping well away from the uncles' feet. Avi remembered how relieved he was that his mate had been so convincing. Any suspicions that he was play acting, and Avi would have been used as a human punch bag for real, when he got home.  Avi's uncles hated weakness and to put it mildly they were always looking for an excuse to rough him up.