Chapter 34

Chapter 34

As soon as I walked through the tall oak double doors the din was silenced.  All of the men gapped at me in open shock, many stood as their eyes widened.    

With my head high and my back straight I walked regally to the High table.   I ignored the silence and rough growling breath of the man at my side. I took the chair next to Percy in the centre of the table. 

From the corner of my eye I saw Jonathan’s mouth scowling.  He waited with his fists balled.  I could see him look to me then to the only other empty chair at the table. The men were seated in order of hierarchy and with so many Lords here Jonathan was placed at the far end.  He would have to leave my side and this did not impress him.  His jaw was all I could see of his face and that was rigid with anger as he moved to take the his seat.

I glanced at the Twelve they were all present and in uniform.  Thomas smiled at me but Douglas still looked dazed.  This was not my concern right now.

“Queen Maeb this is unexpected,” a voice brought my attention back to the Lords at the High table.

“It is good to see you too Lord Richard,” I nodded back as I quickly scanned the faces at the table.  One looked less surprised than the others.  We guessed correctly then.

“So the reports of your death were greatly exaggerated, I gather?” Lord Richard continued.

I smiled down the table at him, “So it seems.  They say I’m dead?  Hmm, that’s interesting.  Sorry to disappoint you all I am very much alive and so is the King’s Heir.” I smiled and gently touched my bump, “Our child has sharp elbows and never sits still.  He will be his father’s son.”  My eyes drifted to the figure at the end of the table before I could drag them back to my plate.

“The King’ Heir?” I heard a low voice scoff from my left.

“I am the Queen, I am pregnant so does it not stand to reason that I carry the Heir, Lord Godfrey?”

“But how did you escape your kidnapper?”  Lord Samuel’s eyes were wide, “I was there, the defences were strong.  How did you get through and avoid detection from our army?  Why did you avoid our army?”

 “Good men died on the battlefield that day.  If you were free why did you not make that known to us?” Lord Henry growled.  “I lost my Brother and my Father that day in your name.”

“Yes, we all lost good men that day.  It was a bloodbath.  Almost as if he knew our plans,” Lord Godfrey lifted his eyebrows suggestively, “So tell us ‘Queen’ Maeb, what did you do to secure your freedom?”

“I betrayed no one, Lord Godfrey.  I do not betray my people.  I was never there.  You were lead with false information.  I was not kidnapped.” I fought my fury.

“Then where were you?  Visiting some family friend?  Sipping tea and weaving while we died in your name?”  Lord Godfrey scoffed a laugh as he mumbled the insult.

“How dare you question me Lord Godfrey.  I am your Queen!”

“Are you?” Lord Godfrey’s eyes travelled over my body appraising me like one would a common wench.  “Are you really the Queen or are you an impostor?”

“You think I am a fraud?”

“Your words not mine.  Where is your birthmark, where is proof?”

“I have no birthmark and was born with none.”

“Convenient,” he smirked.

The other Lords were now mumbling and looking sideward’s at me with sceptical eyes.  I glance at Percy, he raised his brow quickly and shook his head gently.  I hated it when he was so accurate.  He was right and I would be forced to admit that to him later.