Thirty-Seven

Violet's POV

Nate and I walked into the police station where my mom worked, and when we entered, everyone seemed to look and stare at me.

I looked at Nate, and he looked back at me.

We thought the police station would have all the answers I would want, and hopefully we find them, but we know it's not going to be that easy.

"Son!" Nate's dad called. "What are you doing here?"

"Uh...I need to talk to you." He said, and he gave me a look that said, I'll distract him. Go.

I walked towards the evidence room, making sure the guard standing in the entrance could not see me. Nate followed behind me afterwards.

I started running past the guard, grabbing the papers from his desk, and made a left into another hallway.

"Stop!" The guard yelled, following me. From the corner of my eye, I saw Nate go into the evidence room.

I ran into the nearest room on my right. I gasped and cursed myself for not checking what room this was. I dropped the papers.

Of course, it was the break room, with cops hanging around drinking coffee and talking.

When I walked in, everyone stared at me, and my mom gave me a glare.

The officer that was chasing me entered behind me, and grabbed me by the back of my shirt.

"Don't touch her, Davis." My mom glared. "I got this one."

I stared at Officer Davis, motioning for him to let go, and he did. My mom grabbed me by my wrist, dragged me out of the room, and to her desk.

"What the hell were you thinking?!" She freaked, sitting me down on her chair.

"Wrist." She commanded for me to lift it, and she handcuffed me to her chair.

"I'll deal with you when I get home." She said angrily, then stormed away.

I sighed, leaning back on the chair. I looked up at the ceiling. At this rate, I wasn't going to save Hayes. In fact, I can't even get myself out of this.

My phone buzzed, and I fished it out of my pocket.

Nate: where the hell did you go?

Me: got cuffed. In my mom's office.

I got up from where I sat, limited in my movement because of the handcuff. Although, I could drag the chair around, it'd be a lot of work.

I decided to do it anyways, dragging it around to my mom's desk to find papers scattered all over it.

First, I needed to find the key to the cuffs, or at least a spare. I searched in her drawers, and when I found nothing but a bobby pin, I huffed in defeat.

Then, an idea struck. I could try to pick the lock with the bobby pin, though I've never tried it before.

I gave it a shot anyways. I inserted the bobby pin into the key hole and shook it around.

After a few minutes, the cuff unhooked, and I rubbed my wrist.

I looked at the papers and separated it, until I found a file that was marked "Grier, Hayes." 

Silently cheering, I opened the file. His profile with his basic information came up. Nothing stuck out, but I remembered something.

"Prozac, Cymbalta, and Zoloft." I read out loud. "Commonly used as anti-depressants."