Chapter Five

CHAPTER FIVE

Pavel began to feel guilty about admonishing Teresa and leaving so soon. Maybe it was his libido talking to him, but he decided to go back and spend some time with her. Perhaps it would appease her for a while so he wouldn’t have to worry so much about what she would do next to draw attention to herself.

He would pick up dinner and drive back to the cabin. First, he wanted to go home to shower and change. After he got cleaned up, he called Nick.

“I’m taking the night off. I need to go monitor Teresa. She made quite a bit of ruckus today at the cabin.”

“Is that the only reason why you’re going up there?” Nick asked.

“What is it to you?”

“Nothing. I’m just asking. Have fun for me, would you?”

“Didn’t your date go well the other night?”

“Sort of. I’ll tell you all about it tomorrow. Let’s just say it was a weird evening.”

“Well, good luck with that. I’ll talk to you tomorrow.”

“Keep your cell on in case I need you.”

“Don’t I always?”

“No. I know you. If you’re getting lucky, you’ll turn it off. Don’t.”

“Whatever, Nick. I have to go.”

He called in an order to the local pizzeria. He had no idea what she liked, or even if she ate pizza, but he was sure she wouldn’t mind as long as it was him delivering it.

It was after six o’clock when he headed to the cabin. It was situated about fifteen minutes outside of town on the back way to the city of Fillmore. He was actually feeling excited that he chose to spend time with her. He needed to relax and a glass of Chianti sounded good about right now.

He pulled up to the cabin and grabbed the pizza. He walked into the front door and into the living room. The television was on to a foreign speaking channel. That’s weird. She must be really bored, he thought.

“Teresa?” he yelled out.

He set the pizza on the coffee table and started walking towards the kitchen. As he did, Maria came shuffling out still wearing Teresa’s bathrobe and slippers, carrying a bowl of ice cream.

“Maria?” he asked, sounding confused.

“Mr. Pavel, what you doing here?”

“What are you doing here? Where’s Teresa?”

“I…uh…she sleeping.”

He looked at her and could see guilt written all over her face.

“Maria, what’s going on? Where is she?”

“Please, Mr. Pavel, don’t be angry with me. She…” Maria began to cry as she tried to continue, “I sorry, she talked me into it.”

“Into what, Maria?”

Maria continued to sob. Pavel led her into the living room and steered her towards the sofa. He handed her a tissue from the end table.

“Maria, I’m not angry with you. Where is she?”

He was furious, but not at Maria. He tried to keep his anger in check so that she would stop crying long enough to tell him what was going on.

After loudly blowing her nose, she answered, “She took my car…my clothes. She said she wanted to go for ride to see a friend. That’s all I know, I swear,” Maria managed to get out between sniffles.