13

Luke held his head down as he walked through the front door of the large school. He hasn't seen Calum once in the five days that they've been back from Port Macquarie and Luke didn't know how to really handle it. He didn't have anyone to hide behind now so he just figured if he can get through the first day of senior year, he can survive until he's able to graduate.

Luke wedged his way through the wide hallways of people in small groups, laughing and conversing about something Luke probably couldn't care less about. People would bump into Luke accidentally and not even acknowledge it because, without Calum by his side, Luke was invisible, and he didn't really mind it. The less attention directed towards him, the better.

Between the sea of blurry people, one face walking in his direction particularly stood out to Luke. Calum. He had a wide smile on his face, as he always did. Luke dropped his vision to the floor as Calum strutted right by the blonde boy to a crowd of guys hollering and gesturing for him to join them.

Luke turned the corner into his first class and took a seat in the second row, closest to the wall. Seconds after the late bell rang, Calum walked in, ignoring the glare from Coach Jacobs, the physics teacher and football coach.

"First day of school and you're already late, Calum," Coach Jacobs scorned.

Calum stopped in his spot and shrugged, replying in the form of a question, "I was in the bathroom?"

"Sure you were. Have a seat, Hood, before I kick you off the team."

Calum chuckled, "you won't kick me off the team, I'm your best player."

"How about you go down to the office and tell them how good of a player you are?"

"Look at you, Rick! showing a sense of authority," Calum sassed, calling Coach Jacobs by his first name.

"No, look at you, Calum. You've just earned yourself a detention on the first day of school and a suspension from the first half of football season," Jacobs stated, taking a form out of his desk.

"What?! Coach, you can't do that-"

Luke let out a loud sigh, "just sit the fuck down, Calum!" he shouted, tired of Calum's fake 'I'm better than everyone' act. All eyes averted to the blonde who slouched down in his seat with his head covered by his hoodie.

Coach Jacobs crossed his arms, "I suggest you listen to Luke," he said and Calum finally took a seat.

•••

Later that day, Luke performed his new daily routine of escaping his house to go somewhere. Now, he was standing on top of a ten story building in the city that he reached by riding a convenient elevator to the ninth floor and then taking stairs up until he reached a door to the roof.

The whole point of Luke running off to a new place every night was to get Calum out of his head, but it wasn't working. Everything and everyone reminded him of Calum.

Luke would look out at the mountainous terrain and think of Calum's perfectly soft golden tan skin. He would look out into the ocean and think of the bubbles that would flood his brain whenever the older boy would laugh or smile. He would run his fingers along his neck and lips and instantly miss the feeling of Calum's intoxicating mouth against them.

Luke couldn't get Calum out of his head and it was beginning to drive him insane, but at least he had this. He could drive and drive and sometimes, if Luke was lucky, his mind would be freed of all thoughts for a few short seconds until he would witness something that would remind him of Calum again.

Just running away wasn't enough for Calum. He would take any chance he got to drink, inhale, or swallow anything that would make him forget for even a few hours.

Calum hated himself for throwing away the only promising aspect of his life. It's like he impacted his whole world with a million fiery comets and watched it explode. It destroyed Calum to see Luke so helpless and small in the school hallway as he simply ignored and walked right passed him. So he sat alone in his dark room, consuming his lifeline and attempting to forget about losing the thing he would have given up his life for to begin with.

Calum poured the small white pills into the palm of his hand, remembering what he was told when he got them.

"They're supposed to be for depression or some shit but whenever I take them, I forget my own name," Joshua said, handing Calum the plastic bag filled with white capsules.

"How much do I owe you?" Calum asked.

"You don't owe me anything. I didn't even pay for them, they're my stepdad's."

Calum stuffed the bag in his back pocket, "thanks, Josh."

Calum started opening his car door when Josh stopped him, "oh yeah and, Cal. Don't take more than two of those at a time. They can seriously mess you up."

Calum nodded and drove off.

Calum moved the pills around in his hand, examining them before placing one on his tongue and swallowing.

For the pier.

He took one more.

For the tattoo.

Another.

Make me forget.

Another.

Luke.

Another.

Luke.

Until eventually, his hands went numb and his eyes began to fall closed. Bright blue eyes entered his mind before the world finally went dark.

-•-•-
thank you guys so much for the votes!!!! it makes me happy :)

all your comments make me smile and i want to reply so bad but i'm awkward and nervous hahaha:')haha

-cee