Chapter 30

For once, Arden was glad to have an empty stomach. At least she wouldn't have to worry about vomiting in front of Kell or his father.

The guard led them to a large office and closed the door behind them. Inside, the king, his sons, Larenis, and Dev waited for them. She wanted to hide behind something when they all turned to her.

Dev rushed to her side. "Shields up?" he whispered in her ear.

She nodded and dug her fingers into his arm. Thank the Lady Moon he was here. His presence helped ease some of the sick terror swirling in her gut. She scanned the room and saw a few more unfamiliar faces, but they all wore the same expression when they looked at her: fear mixed with suspicion.

King Heodis leaned forward in his chair. "Good. Now that everyone's here, let's discuss our options."

"May I ask what's happened so far, Father?" Kell squeezed her hand before crossing the room to the king's massive desk.

Larenis stood at attention. "Sulaino has surrounded the city, Your Highness. When the fog lifted about half an hour ago, we spotted them. He's sent what's left of Lord Yessling to the main gate to negotiate terms of surrender."

"Like I would ever surrender to that horse's ass." Heodis pounded his fist against the table. He nodded for the captain to continue.

"His request was simple. He wishes to speak only to the heir to throne and assures us that he will be returned safely."

"Alive or undead?" Dev's steely words caused a few people to grimace.

"Let's hope alive," Gandor replied. "Father, let's at least hear him out, perhaps find some way to buy us some more time."

"You're actually considering negotiations with a necromancer?" Dev's face darkened. "Do you have any idea what you're dealing with?"

"For a foreigner, you've been extremely opinionated about what we should do."

"Enough, you two. I have a throbbing headache, and your snipes aren't helping." The king massaged his temples. "What are your thoughts, Kell?"

She didn't miss the way the eldest prince scowled when the king asked his youngest son for advice. Sibling rivalry took on a whole new meaning here.

"If Gandor's willing to meet with Sulaino, it might buy us enough time to come up with a plan and learn what the necromancer wants."

Dev pushed her behind him. "I can tell you what he wants. He wants Trouble first, and then he'll use her powers to destroy the kingdom."

"Your theory is plausible, Sir Devarius, but I can't rest all my options on it."

Gandor stood and approached the desk. "With your permission, Father, I would like to engage him."

"With troops or peacefully?"

"I'll hear him out, but if I smell trouble, I'd like to have men just inside the walls waiting for my signal."

The king leaned back in his chair and stroked his beard. After a few seconds of silence, Heodis straightened. "Larenis, I want all of our archers on the wall, watching every move Sulaino makes. If they see anything that remotely appears like a threat to my son's life, turn Sulaino and his abominations into pin cushions. Is that understood?"

The captain snapped to attention. "Yes, Your Majesty."

"Gandor, take three men you trust with you and watch your back."

"Yes, Father." He bowed and left the room with Larenis.

Arden couldn't shake the feeling that the prince seemed a little too confident. She leaned closer to Dev. "Shouldn't he have appeared a bit more worried?"