Dev shook his hand to cool his singed fingertips and scowled.

"Here we are." Kell opened the door wide to reveal a very pissed-off looking Captain Larenis.

"How did he get in here? My guards had specific orders to keep them apart."

Dev's scowl melted into a mocking grin. "Are you sure they've been paying attention?"

The captain's hand gripped his sword until his knuckles whitened, pushing all the blood up into his florid face.

"Larenis, you've found him. Don't keep my father waiting."

He released his sword and bowed his head. "Yes, Your Highness. Sir Devarius, King Heodis requests another audience with you." The venom in his voice made it clear he would've preferred a good brawl instead of following orders.

"By all means, let's do as Prince Kell suggests and not keep him waiting."

As soon as the door closed behind them, Kell took her hand in his and pressed his lips against her knuckles. A shiver raced up her arm, making her cheeks flames as he turned her hand over to press his lips against the inside of her wrist. The look in his eyes stated he wanted to kiss more of her.

A growl sounded behind them, and Kell jumped away. Cinder raised his upper lip to reveal his fangs and growled again.

"Some watchdog," he muttered and released her hand. "Sorry, but I haven't been able to get you out of my mind since the other night."

"Then why didn't you come by sooner?"

"Politics," he replied with a grimace.

More like head games. He probably found someone else to occupy his bed. She kept a few feet between them in case he tried to take her into his arms again. "Poor Prince Kell."

"Trust me, I'd rather be here with you."

For a second, she almost believed him. "I've been trying to find a way to pass the time."

"With Dev?"

His jealousy shot an arrow straight into her gut. "He's my protector and teacher."

"And what has he been teaching you in your bedroom?"

Her heart fluttered, and her palms grew damp. "Just what you see before you. Nothing more." Although there'd definitely been a few times when I wanted more. "It's not like you walked in on us naked and rolling around in bed, did you?"

His pupils dilated. "I wouldn't mind seeing you naked and rolling around in the bed with me."

Cinder growled again.

"You're refreshingly transparent, Kell. Thank you." She turned away and began straightening her papers. Damn him! Just when she thought he was more than just a man-whore, he reminded her he only wanted one thing.

A pair of warm hands covered her shoulders, followed by lips gently pressing against the back of her neck. "There's no need to hide my desire for you. I told you before that I'm willing to wait."

Her knees wobbled. If he only knew what effect his touch had on her. "What's the real reason you came here, Kell?"

"The truth?" He glanced at the bed, grinning.

She broke free of him and stood closer to Cinder. "Don't you ever get your mind out of the gutter? You're almost as bad as—"

"Who? Dev?"

"Hardly."

"Then who?"

She bit her lip. Damn it, I almost told him about Loku again. "None of your business. I'm sorry to disappoint you, Your Highness, but I'll have to decline your invitation." She held her breath and prayed he wouldn't try to force the matter.