"You bring me a very tangled knot to unravel, son. What would you do in my place?"

"I would consider what's best for my kingdom and my subjects. Sulaino is the real threat. I've seen the villages he's desecrated, and who knows how many undead he has by now? We can't defeat him without either a huge loss of life or the help of magic."

His father nodded. "Go on."

"I've found two individuals who know how to fight undead using magic. Although Arden knew the risk she took when she used it, she did it to save the lives of her fellow Ranellians. And if her behavior earlier is any indication of her conscience, she'd help us again if needed." Kell crossed his arms, dreading his next few words. "Although I hate to admit it, Gandor did bring up a good point. She did break the law, and in order to maintain order, we need to show good reason to bend it in a particular instance. I suggest we offer Arden her freedom in exchange for her promise to help us with Sulaino."

He anxiously watched for his father's reaction, but the king's face remained unreadable. "Well thought out. You make some interesting points. I'll need time to consider them, as well a few things you've neglected to consider."

"Such as?"

Heodis chuckled. "There's more to being king than just wearing a crown."

Jealousy over the king's praise of Kell twisted Gandor's mouth into a snarl. "The arrogant elf demanded a private audience with you, Father."

"Another thing to consider. I'm sure I might learn a few things from him that he's refused to share with you."

Envy coiled in the pit of Kell's stomach that his father might be able to glean information from the elf when he'd failed. "Will you grant him an audience?"

Gandor jerked up in his chair. "Consider the consequences, Father. He could be an assassin sent by Marist to kill you."

Heodis threw his head back in laughter. "The young empress may be called many things, but vengeful wouldn't be one of them. It would take more than one elf to kill me, anyway." He turned to Kell. "If I agree to grant this knight a private audience, what will you do with the witch in the meantime?"

The twinkle in the king's eye almost made Kell laugh out loud. Among the many things he'd inherited from his father, his appetite for women was one of them. Members of the court still whispered about how quickly Heodis wooed and married his second wife, especially after Kell was born less than seven months after the first queen's death. "I'm sure I can think of a few things."

The first thing that came to mind was how pretty Arden would look in a court gown. His breath hitched. Usually, his thoughts of women centered around how quickly he could he could get them out of their dresses, not into them.

The king's brows rose as though he noticed Kell's confusion. "I'll give it some thought."

"Come now, Father, this is ridiculous," Gandor spat.

"The only thing that's ridiculous is your closed mind. Now, all of you, leave me alone for a few hours. I need to figure out exactly how to handle this situation, and I don't need to hear any more of your bickering." Heodis dismissed them with a wave of his hand.

Once they closed the door to the king's private chambers, Gandor whipped around to face Kell. "What exactly are you trying to do? Take over the crown for yourself?"

He grinned, knowing his lack of anger would aggravate his older brother even more. "Why? Worried Father may name me his heir instead of you?" He laughed. "You shouldn't feel intimidated by me. I'm just the Third Prince, remember? Perhaps if you listened to what Father has been trying to teach us over the years, you'd win his respect, too."

Gandor grabbed Kell's tunic and bunched the material up in his fists. "Your cockiness will be your undoing. I'm watching you. One false move, and I'll never let you live it down." He released him with a shove and stormed down the hall.

"Give him a few hours," Therrin said, patting him on the shoulder. "He'll calm down like he always does."

He smoothed out his tunic. "Nah, you know he's always hated me for one reason or another. I dread the day he becomes king. I might have to run across the borders to save my head."

"Trust me, I fear the day he becomes king, too. He has no love for the people." A small smile appeared on Therrin's round face. "Perhaps we'll flee together."

"And what does Winnie think of that plan?"

His brother still blushed at the mention of his wife, even though they'd been married over three years. Their relationship was the one thing that made Kell believe in true love. "You know how easygoing she is. I think we'll be happy wherever we are as long as we're together."

"Yes, I'd believe that."

They turned down the corridor toward their own chambers. Arden's suggestion of a hot bath sounded tempting now. Too bad she couldn't join him in the tub.

Kell ducked into his room. The corners of his mouth rose when he saw the steaming bath and fresh clothes already laid out for him. He'd deal with Arden later. First, he needed to soak all the dirt off his skin and dress like a prince again.