"Good morning, Lady Arden," a cheerful voice greeted through the fog.

She resisted the urge to roll her eyes. Although she knew she'd done the right thing in healing him, she could do without his constant fawning. "Ortono, be careful. I don't think Dev's lowered the circle yet."

His nervous laughter reached her before his face appeared. "Right. Definitely don't want a repeat of yesterday morning."

A muffled snort came from beside her.

"Dev, if you'll lower the circle, I'll tend to the horses."

"Not alone."

"I'll take Ortono."

He raised a brow. "That reassures me," he said sarcastically. "Just make sure you don't fall into the river. I have no desire to spend the rest of the day wearing wet clothes if I have to fish you out." He waved his hand, and the hum of magical energy that had surrounded them all night dissipated.

Arden grabbed the horses' reins. "Come on, Ortono."

She moved through the trees, listening carefully for the rush of water over the rocks. Ortono's muffled steps followed her, but he said nothing. Perhaps he'd run out of things to talk to her about. So far, she'd heard about his youth, how he met his wife, and every single detail about his three sons. His love for his family was like a knife that twisted in her heart. Her father didn't want anything to do with her. The cold gold of her pendant stung her skin as she reflected on his abandonment. Ortono would never do that to his family.

Dev's horse whinnied. She slowed down, feeling her way to the river's edge with her feet. The soft earth changed into a bed of pebbles. She traced a small drop-off with the toes of her boot, splashing the water around it. She dropped the reins and knelt on the bank. While the horse drank their fill, she washed her face in the icy water.

When she heard the sound of someone approaching, she assumed it was Ortono. Instead, another voice drawled out, "Good morning, Arden."

She froze. How did Kell sneak up on her like that? "Good morning, Your Highness."

"Dismal weather this morning. I hope it clears up so you'll have a nice view of Trivinus."

A frog hopped around in her stomach when she heard his news. "We should see Trivinus today?"

"More than see. We should be inside the palace well before dinner."

The ground seemed to slip out from under her feet. If Kell hadn't caught her arm, she might have fallen into the river. Her heart raced.

"Are you still exhausted from healing Ortono?"

"No." More like wondering when I'll be burned alive.

"You really think he'll let you burn? I mean, besides in lust for him?"

"Your hands are trembling." He pulled her closer to him.

"The cold, Your Highness." She buried her hands in the thick wool of his cloak. The ripple of his chest muscles made her mind wander in a very different direction.

"You may call me Kell when we're alone." His husky voice sent a delicious shiver through her body.

"We're not alone. Ortono—"

"I sent him back to the camp to help pack. He seems to think you're safe with me."

"And am I?"

"What do you think?" He closed the space between them until his breath tickled her forehead.

"I think it depends on your definition of safe." She pulled away.

"Do I frighten you?"

She laughed to cover up her unease. Her growing attraction toward him frightened her, even if it was only physical. But she couldn't let him know that. "You're the one who's been avoiding me. If I didn't know better, I'd say you were afraid of me."