"That sounds like a more respectable name. May I ask why Dev calls you Trouble?"

"Because he can't get it through his thick head that my name is Arden."

He laughed wholeheartedly. "Yes, he seems like a stubborn man."

"You don't know the half of it." His arms still steadied her, even though her initial vertigo had passed. "You said your name was Kell, right?"

"You remember that from last night?"

"Bits and pieces." She refused to tell him that the only things she remembered after Loku released her from his control were Kell's name and his face. "What exactly happened?"

"A group of undead ambushed me and my men as we were making camp. You and your protector showed up. Sulaino and you had a little conversation, and then you turned all the undead into frozen statues. Sulaino broke free of the ice that surrounded him, and you got hit in the head."

"I wonder why the spell didn't work on him," she whispered aloud and immediately froze. Her eyes felt like they were stretched to their limits, and her throat tightened. Sweet Lady Moon, she didn't just admit to using magic in front of him, did she?

She listened to the pounding of her heart, waiting for him to shove her aside and call her a witch. When nothing happened, she met his gaze with caution. The accusation she feared shown from his eyes. May the goddess protect me, she prayed.

"Who needs that silly moon goddess when you have me? Say the word, and I'll reduce him to a pile of ashes."

Magic welled up inside her, and her heart beat faster. "No, not yet, Loku. If he wanted to burn me at the stake, he would have done so by now."

The tingling in her arms and chest retreated. "Very well. But I will not tolerate anyone hurting you while you still carry my soul."

The silence between them stretched too long for her comfort. "Um, so, everyone's all right?" she asked.

"For now," he replied, still staring at her. His mouth formed a thin line, and he pulled his hands away from her back.

Wonderful, she inwardly groaned. He's one of those guys who wants you to be in perfect health before he begins his torture, isn't he?

She jumped to her feet. The sudden movement made her sway, and she grabbed the small table nearby until she regained her balance. Sweat prickled along the nape her of neck, but it was a small price to pay in order to get away from him.

He reached for her. "Take it easy. I don't want you hitting your head again."

"I'm fine." She swatted his hands away. "Where's Dev?"

"I already told you—he's in the healer's tent."

"Take me to him now. I need to speak to him" Her voice trembled. Dev would know what to do. He'd know how to get them out of this mess before they both burned for it.

"There's no need to be frightened. I'm not going to hurt you."

"How do I know that?" She stumbled toward the opening of the tent, with Cinder leaning heavily against the side of her leg. "Go find Dev," she ordered the wolf.

Cinder sniffed the air and bolted for the flaps. Arden followed him, startling the guards posted outside the tent. The wolf paused to sniff the ground before loping toward a tent across the clearing, allowing her time to catch up to him. Two soldiers stood in front of it. They both cocked their crossbows and aimed them at the snarling wolf.

"Let them enter," Kell said behind her.

"Yes, Your Highness," they replied simultaneously, lowering their weapons.